24: Little Kyle

"Here we are." Brook said as we stopped in front of Kyle's door.

I stared at the door, unsure of what to do.

Brook smirked, "what are you waiting for? Knock!"

So I did. A few seconds passed before the door flew open, and Kyle was standing there expectantly.

"Well, I'll be going now," Brook said, and I smiled at her. I had grown quite fond of her.

"Thanks for showing me around today."

Brook grinned. "Of course!" She hugged me then, much more strongly than I thought a girl as short as her could manage, and she kissed my cheek.  She walked off, and I turned to Kyle, who silently stood out of the way for me to walk in. He had changed out of his suit and he was wearing a white T-shirt and jeans, looking ridiculously sexy.

I stepped in, taking in the familiar surrounding of Kyle's apartment. Even though I've only been in here once, it was somehow more comforting than my own home. My house was decorated with expensive paintings and always impeccably clean, but except for me and my brother's rooms, they felt so un-lived in. But Kyle's apartment, it was clean, his walls ranging from a pretty shade of dark blue to the faintest of white. Books lined many parts of his walls, and there was a poster of constellations, a few posters of famous rock bands with signatures on them, and a cork board covered with projects, ideas, and pictures of him and his friends. 

I turned to Kyle, after my eyes lingered on the poster of constellations. "You like stars?"

"Yeah." He answered vaguely, obviously not wanting to talk to me.

"You're going to have to talk to me one time or another, you know."

Kyle sighed, not answering my statement. I sat down at one of the sofas in his living room, letting the plush pillows bury me.

Finally he said, "you shouldn't have done that."

"Done what? Sit on the sofa or volunteer to help out for this plan?"

"Sit on the sofa. It's set so that if you sit on it, it'll spontaneously combust in two minutes."

My eyes widened as I stood up abruptly. "Why the hell didn't you tell me?"

Kyle cracked a smile as he sat down on the sofa. "I'm just kidding."

I stared at him for a few seconds, looking up at me innocently, and I sunk into the sofa beside him.

"I hate you." I told him, but a smile was creeping up on my lips.

"It's not my fault you're so gullible."

"Well, there have been so many crazy things going on lately, how would I know what's true and what's false!"

Kyle laughed, a melodic, amused laugh that made me want to laugh with him.

"Okay, well maybe sofas spontaneously combusting was a tad far-fetched..." I admitted, which only made Kyle laugh harder. 

When his laughter died down, I peered at him through my eyelashes. "So, are we on speaking terms again?" I gave him my best puppy dog face, and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"Fuck. Stop that face." He said, looking away from me. I laughed, and brought my legs up so I could wrap my arms around them.

"I'm still uneasy with you becoming the bait in this plan." Kyle said quietly.

"I'm going to be perfectly fine. You heard them, they said they were going to do everything they can to make me safe."

"Yeah, I know, but..."