18. Ominous | منحوس

Since Safa had left Asmara and Arham to themselves, they had tea together and then the lunch Asmara had readied in just an hour.

"Usually people have tea after the food," Arham piped in from where he was sprawled on the bar stool from across her, at the counter. His sleeves were rolled onto his elbows showcasing his veined arms, his exorbitant coat discarded on the couch.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I thought a cup of tea might relax you after a tiresome day." Tucking the strand of her hair behind her ear, she dug the fork into the contents of her plate with a meek smile.

"There's nothing to apologize for." He chuckled nervously. "And yes, it did help me. I feel fresh."

"Glad to be of service."

The next few minutes dragged by with heavy silence so thick he thought he could cut it with a knife. He threw furtive glances at her while she ate in content. He wasn't habitual to silence. So he broke it with a white lie.

"The food's really good. You could be a cook."

The fork fell from her hand, so did her jaws as she craned her head up with her face contorted into expressions worried about his mental health. Only a madman could appreciate her cooking skills because God knows she sucked... real bad.

"I don't think the tea actually worked to restart your brain. This is barely edible for me. Me; the person who cooked. Safa was right. You are a liar!" She convulsed her head, the corner of her lips curved up in disappointment.

"I was just appreciating you." He squeezed his shoulders as he struggled for words to revert what he had just said. "I mean appreciation encourages the person, you know." This woman was making him nervous.

"Appreciation does. Lies only turn you into a self obsessed fool."

He scratched the back of his head with a boyish grin. Soon Safa walked in, much to his rescue.

"Oh, look Afat (destruction) is back... with a full grown up kid," he added on seeing Mansha. "Oh, God, you abductor!"

Rolling her eyes at his theatrics, Safa gestured Mansha to sit.

"Who did you call Afat?" She arched her eyebrows up as she discarded the food boxes she had taken with herself, out of the bag.

"You. Just joined last three letters of your first name and the last of your second. Nice combination, no? Quite perfect!"

"You know some people only look good as long as they stay quiet." She pulled a plastic smile.

"So you think I'm good looking?" He jumped off the chair.

"What a narcissist you are!" She threw her hands up in air.

"You've finally found your match, Safa." Asmara decided to take part in the conversation, a smile flashing on Arham's lips. "Now who is this girl?" She sat beside Mansha as she cupped her chin.

"This is Mansha." She announced from over her shoulder as she washed the boxes. "Ayyan's sister. She'll be living with us for a week."

"Nice to meet you, you cutie!" Asmara chirped as she combed her hand through Mansha's thick and silky locks. "We'll have all the fun together. You like movies, right?"

She coyed as she gave her a nod.

"Guess, I'll leave you ladies alone, then. Don't wanna jinx the girls night with male presence, do I?

Asmara looked up, giving him a nervous smile.

"Even if you were a girl, I'm sure you'd still jinx everything," Safa jibed as she left the open-kitchen island.