𝟮𝟱. realizations

CHANGE | CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

    𝐓here was always that strange feeling in our hearts after a bad experience

    𝐓here was always that strange feeling in our hearts after a bad experience. Even if it happened a couple of days ago, a few minutes ago, even years and years ago; our mind will always somehow drift back to that time and make us feel uncomfortable, regrettably, or even happy. Right now, Cloud was set on remembering the outcome of their victory, other than what actually happened to get to that victory.

    Cloud snapped out of her thoughts when someone knocked outside her door, and without even glancing, she said a quiet 'Come in' and the person entered her room. She leaned forward to grab her pendant on the table before putting it over her, and when she decided to see her visitor━the corner of her lips tugged into a smirk.

    "Hey, fireboy." She raised an eyebrow as the latter walked towards her, his eyes darting everywhere in the room.

    "You look, um, nice," Mako cleared his throat, finally having the courage to look at her in the face and not become nervous. He slightly cursed at himself in his mind. Nice? Really, Mako? There were no words that could explain how magnificent Cloud was.

    "Oh, I know." Cloud briefly waved her hand as she turned to see her reflection in the mirror; her brown hair was somehow longer than before, just reaching below her shoulders. The tattoo on her forehead was clear to see since she clipped her hair on both sides. She even donned her respective clothing;  a dress with a yellow lining that extended over the bust, and a long underskirt of the same yellow color.

    Mako walked up behind her, staring at themselves in the old mirror on the wall. She never realized how different he looked without his favorite red scarf. Cloud mustered a soft smile as they made eye contact in the mirror, which made the firebender smile ever so slightly. The tension wasn't awkward, or weird. It's just... normal (or as normal as it can get since Cloud tends to blurt out weird things sometimes).

    She shook her head inwardly and turned around to face the firebender. However, she almost stumbled when she realized how close he was, but she immediately stood her ground, looking up at him with big soft grayish-blue eyes that always made his heart beat abnormally than usual. The things she does to him without even knowing. 

     Mako never realized how much he liked her until he couldn't have her anymore. He still remembered when she left Republic City to join the ranks of the military because that's when he also realized how much he liked her.

    But they were too young, he continuously told himself. Then after that, he just began to do other things that he ended up forgetting about her but not completely. You will never forget the person who first made you feel special, the person who looked at him like he was something, and not just some kid who lost his parents and lived in the streets. The kid who did bad things to survive.

     Cloud made him feel normal. Despite their constant bickering, Mako admired her.

     So it was really surprising when Cloud said something he'd been wanting to do ever since he realized he liked her more than he planned.