𝟬𝟯 art of underwater tomfoolery

𝟬𝟯

art of underwater tomfoolery

          A week later, Trinity's life had remained unchanged.

She was still reading The Art of Living and JJ's list was still permanently inked into the inside cover of the book with her rewritten version besides his. But she hadn't looked at the lists since the day before her chemistry final.

The only changes she'd made was allowing Ellie to drag her to the beach on weekday afternoons. With her final exams out of the way and the end of her sophomore year nearing, Trinity finally felt like she deserved some relaxation.

Ellie had on a black triangle bikini and had convinced her best friend into a two piece as well. After throwing her hair up into a bun, grabbing her book, and perching a pair of one-dollar-section sunglasses on her nose, Trinity rolled onto her stomach on top of the beach towels the girls had spread out over the sand and started reading.

"Do you wanna get a job with me this summer?" The darker-haired girl asked after a while. Trinity looked up from her book. "Kelce was telling me that there's openings at the Island Club. I know commute's gonna be a bitch, but the tips from the job will cover it and more."

"You can just tell me that you wanna have a reason to be in Figure Eight in order to see Kelce, you know?" Trinity's remark earned her a playful jab into her ribs from Ellie's elbow. "What kind of jobs have openings anyways?" She ended up asking out of curiosity.

"I don't know, like, banquet server?" Ellie scrunched up her nose. "Or maybe just, like, you know, waiting tables and stuff. Is that outta your comfort zone?" It was her turn to make fun of Trinity. "Honestly, I think you and your deceivingly big mouth'd get fired before me if we got hired to work at a place where rich, kook assholes strut around."

"So, it's settled then– you find another way to fund your commutes to see Kelce."

"Trin, think about it," Ellie persisted, rolling over to join her friend on her stomach. "Think about the money, right? Think about–" She hesitated for just moment. "Think about being able to help your dad with the hospital bills."