Chapter 42 : Right on Time

MY KNEES were shaking as I walk down the ruins. And when one of Apollo's men led me to the front of the ship where there are a lot of damages, it took a lot of my will not to crumble to the floor when I saw Exene kneeling on the floor. Levi is beside him, lying on the ground and then Ares and Laurent are also on the floor. Blood streamed down his face. I scanned his body, walang dugo sa kanyang katawan except the bloodstains on his shirt. 

I whirled to see Apollo, laughing. "Did that scare you, Duchess? I was very tempted to drive that knife to him though but Emerich Sardon particularly said to bring him alive." 

"Leave him out of this," I said sternly. 

Apollo clicked his tongue as he traced Maynard's face with a dagger. "But you see, Emerich asked for your dear Duke too.  I can't leave him out of this," he tapped on his wrist suggesting that I don't have much time to waste. 

Agad akong tumakbo sa direksyon ni Exene. He was all bloody but fine, nevertheless. I bit my lip as I checked his wounds. A gash on the side of his head, not too deep. But the one on his arm is a very deep cut. 

"Exene," I called.

"Liliana, what are you doing--" 

"Just...just let me do my thing, stay still," I muttered but he shook his head. My hand was shaking terribly.

"I can still hold myself. Levi had it worse. He's lost a lot of blood. He got a very huge wound on his back, check him." 

Without further hesitation, agad akong tumakbo sa kung saan nakahandusay si Levi. He is barely conscious and my lips quivered when I beheld his state. There is indeed a huge gash on his back. All I can do for now is give him the first-aid that he needed.

"Levi, can you hear me?" I tried so hard to keep my voice calm. He opened his eyes and I could have sworn relief flooded them.

"I'm going to treat your wound. This will sting a bit," I announced. Tumango lang siya.

He grunted when I poured the liquid on his wound.

"Fuck," he managed to swear dahil sa hapdi. I cut a piece of his clean clothes and wrapped it around his body. I immediately went to Laurent who also had his leg bleeding. He's still conscious and I immediately checked his wound. Hindi ito masyadong malalim.

"Managed to step back before one of them almost cut my leg off," He said when he noticed how I observed the wound. Kumuha na rin ako ng malinis na tela mula sa kanyang damit and tied it around his leg. I tied it tight enough. I could have sworn pride lit his eyes as he looked at me. 

"Have your leg elevated a bit," I told him and looked at Ares. He was sitting on a chair, hands tied, and a gun pointed at him. His expression is unreadable. For some reason, he looked really calm. I looked at Exene na ngayon ay nakaupo na sahig. And then I looked at the bodies lying on the floor. For the four of them to defeat these many enemies is already impressive enough. 

I looked at Exene and noticed his labored breathing. My hands were shaking uncontrollably while cutting the sleeve of his shirt para matingnan ko ng maayos ang sugat niya. Like Ares, Exene too is very calm. 

"You really are good at this," I heard Apollo said. "It's mesmerizing to watch. No wonder you're very known in Sandovia, Lily of the West." I looked around and there are around twenty more men are in the area, all armed.  

Exene held my shaking hand and he nodded slightly at me. Just with that simple gesture, I felt comforted, and somehow, for that very brief moment, I felt assured everything will be alright. 

"How about I shoot this father of yours? It will be fun to watch you hesitating whether to heal him or not, considering your history." 

My hands stopped. I heard his gun cocked. I looked at him and he's pointing the gun at Levi. "Or maybe it's more fun to shoot one of your friends,"