3. Afterwards -- Day!

You woke up with the sun shining through the blinds, straight onto your face. Groaning, you rolled to face the back cushion.

You weren't so drunk last night that you woke up with a hangover, but the mild disorientation that accompanied any number of drinks was definitely present. The sun, being your worst enemy in that moment, was absolutely not helping.

Your mind still fuzzy with sleep, you were planning on getting a few more hours, closing your eyes and settling back into the sheets.

And then you remembered where you were, and what had happened.

Oh, god.

You sat up a little too quickly, a quiet groan flitting from your lips as you rubbed the heel of your palm against one of your eyes. Water. That would probably help.

And the glass that Spencer had left you was still sitting on the table. You quickly gulped it down before setting it back. Then you glanced at the clock on the wall, leaned back against the cushion, and drew your knees up, resting your forehead against them.

It was past 10am. You rarely slept in this late. What was stranger than that, though, was that you knew Spencer never slept this late. Ever. The ever present dark circles under his eyes told you that he hardly slept at all.

But honestly, you couldn't remember the last time you'd slept so soundly, without a nightmare from the past to speak of.

You wondered if you should just leave now and talk to him later, but the door to his bedroom clicked open right on cue. You looked up from your knees just as he froze in the doorway.

You stared at each other for a few seconds before you said, "Morning."

His hair was still wild and messy, flat against one side of his head and sticking up on the other, and he'd ditched the sweatshirt in favor of a white cotton t-shirt. You didn't hear any water turning on in the bathroom, nor much movement on the other side of the door, so you knew he had to have just woken up like you.

Spencer shot you a tight lipped smile, highlighting the dimples in his cheeks. He removed a hand from his pocket and ran it down his face, huffing a laugh. "So I suppose that wasn't the extremely vivid and... unexpected dream that I thought it was."

"Are you trying to tell me that I'm the girl of your dreams? I'm flattered, Reid."

He chuckled, and another silence settled between you as you went back to just staring at each other.

Yeah, this was painful.

He sucked in a breath. "So can I, uhm, can I get you anything?" He sped past you to the kitchen. "I have coffee, if you want, or I can run out and grab something from around the corner." You could hear him start to rifle through cabinets and drawers in the kitchen. "I haven't bought groceries in a while; I've been--I've been busy--"

"Reid."

The shuffling in the kitchen paused, and he stuck his head back out.

You smiled softly. "Coffee would be great, but I should be heading out soon. I have work I need to get to." It wasn't an excuse; you did have files you needed to sort through, leads you needed to follow, but it wasn't immediately pressing. You just didn't want to stick around longer than you needed to.

The question was how you were going to broach the subject of the idea brewing in your mind regarding last night?

Another tight lipped smile. He dipped back into the kitchen, and you heard the clatter of mugs and a coffee pot begin to brew. Spencer came back out and leaned against the doorframe, his hands back in his pockets.