→CHAPTER FOURTEEN

—

RIKU LAID RESTLESS ON HER BED THAT NIGHT. Her eyes remained open and no matter how much she mentally begged her body to sleep, it wouldn't comply. The results of her sleepless night were prominent under her eyes the next morning, making Riku groan at her reflection as she continued to softly dab foundation on her eye-bags, blending it perfectly well with her skin tone with a sponge.

After she was satisfied with her work and her sleeplessness wasn't obvious anymore, the lavender-haired girl exited her bathroom and headed down the steps to grab breakfast before going to school.

"Thank you for the meal," Riku mumbled under her breath as she put her hands together before digging into her food their family chef has made for them.

Her mother and father already left for work, but usually, the three would always eat breakfast together before they go their separate ways. But Riku's mom had an emergency at the hospital and was called to perform immediate surgery on some famous governor around 3:00 in the morning.

Riku's dad, on the other hand, had to leave early to prepare for a very important business meeting with potential partners from Canada. It was a very big opportunity to spread his enterprise and expand his work, so Riku was understanding.

Even if she missed her parents' presence, she was grateful that they weren't here because she just knows that they could tell that she had something on her mind and wouldn't stop pestering her until she spits it out. And she doesn't want that happening. After all...

Who would tell their parents that their best friend pinned them to the tree and almost kissed?

Exactly. No one.  

Riku sighed as she played with her food, poking the meat with her fork as she remembered what had happened yesterday.

After Riku told Karma to take her to the place he wanted to show her, Karma merely smirked, oblivious to the hammering of Riku's heart, before taking her to a new ice cream shop that just opened.

And although Karma was acting like his normal self, Riku was a different story. Despite holding her ice cream cup, the chocolate ice cream coolness' seeping into her palms, they still continued to sweat. She was stiff and would tense up whenever Karma would speak with her, the memory of his lips still fresh in her brain.

They nearly kissed, twice.

She prayed that Karma hasn't noticed her behavior.

But - oh, what the hell - this is her best friend she's talking about. Somewhere in the back of her mind, Riku somehow knew that he did.