⇢ CHAPTER 49

season 8 episode 7 & 8

"Ooh," Holly hummed, walking inside to see Derek poking a dummy brain with Lexie to the side, checking the monitor, "whatcha doing?"

"Neuro stuff." Lexie answered vaguely, not wanting Holly to steal the case she was on.

Holly squinted at her, knowing Lexie's reason for being vague, "I'm on E.R. duty today and tomorrow all day for the baseball game, you can tell me."

"Oh," Lexie let out a chuckle, "well, we're--"

"Quiet," Derek demanded, attempting to find an area to insert the probe, "please."

Holly widened her eyes at Lexie before scurrying over to the monitor in front of her as she saw Derek poke the supplemental motor area. Lexie cringed, "Ding."

"All right." Derek groaned, "Let's try another angle."

Holly winced once more as Derek inserted the probe and Lexie repeated, "Ding."

"Damn." Derek sighed, looking over at the two, "What was that?"

"Fornix." Lexie answered.

"Ooh," Holly pointed at the monitor, "through the basilar. So she'd be--"

"Mute, memory loss, brain dead." Derek listed, removing the probe with a sigh.

The three turned their head to Owen, the new Chief, as he entered and looked at Derek, "How's it going-- Kepner?" Owen frowned his eyebrows at the redhead's sudden appearance there, "Aren't you managing the E.R.?"

"I was." Holly nodded, "And am-- but it's calm right now, Chief." Holly smiled, hoping to not get in trouble for sneaking away as Derek and Lexie looked at each other, "It's not bad, they would page me if it was--" Holly heard her pager beep, making Derek and Lexie stifle a chuckle as she muttered, "Damn."

Owen gave Holly a look, "Kepner."

Holly nodded, grabbing her coat, "I'm on my way, sir."

"God," Lexie scoffed at seeing Julia and Mark kiss, "get a room. It's disgusting."

"Give the guy a break." Jackson defended with a chuckle as he grabbed a bottle of water.

"She's on the opposing team." Lexie justified.

"So what?" Jackson shrugged, "He seems happy." Jackson smiled, "He's happy, I'm happy." He looked over at Lexie, who continued to hold her gaze on the two, "...And you and me, we're-- we're happy, right?"

"Oh," Lexie scoffed again, not hearing Jackson's words, "what is with the friggin' holdup? Let's play ball!"

Jackson sighed, watching Lexie walk away as he thought back to his conversation with his mother.