Dr. A

"Come here," the doctor says, pulling you into an embrace. You don't hug him back but allow yourself to rest your head on his shoulder. After what you have been through recently you can't help but enjoy the affection.

After a few seconds, Dr. Abbott steps back but keeps his hands on the side of your arms. You notice Abbott has changed since you've last seen him. His black hair is greyer now, and he has grown out his beard but other than that he was the same old Abbott. You wonder if you've changed since he last saw you.

"H-how did you find me?" you ask.

"How could I not? Your face is all over the media, especially after you were declared an Avenger." You could feel his grip tighten painfully until he finally let you go.

"Are you angry?" you ask quietly.

"Of course not," he said, but the strained smile on his face says differently. "The Avengers captured you and forced you to help them. You did what you had to do to survive."

"Yes of course," you said what he wanted to hear. "I was following my training and knew that I wouldn't be able to overpower all of them. My best bet was to infiltrate their team."

That pleased him. "Good, you were always smarter than the others."

You knew you lied through your teeth but hopefully, he didn't. You had to keep it that way. "So, what now? Are you here to take me back?"

"You don't sound happy about it."

"No, I-"

He chuckles, "Don't worry (Y/N), I know you didn't like how Hydra treated us. But we don't have to worry about it anymore."

"What do you mean?" you ask as he sits on a nearby tree stump.

"You remember how everything started going down when Strucker died?"

How could you forget? Hydra broke off into factions and was weakened. It was a disorganized mess as everyone desperately tried to assert themselves into power. Abbott had even had you kill off some of his competition. "Yeah."

He spread his arms and grinned. "Well, it ended up going in our favor. You're looking at the new head of Hydra and it's all thanks to you."

"You mean just your faction-"

"No, all of it!'

"I don't understand, how did-"

"Let me explain," he said eagerly. "After you infiltrated the Avengers all the other factions knew I had the upper hand. They pledged their loyalty to me for protection."

You can't help but stare at him in shock as you process what he's saying. "So, your Hydra now?"

"We're Hydra," he corrects standing up and putting his hands on your shoulders. "I always said we would be on top, didn't I?"

A part of you is jumping for joy on the inside. You always wanted to prove you were strong and competent in the eyes of the doctor. Another part of you is having a meltdown. You were an Avenger now, you can't be a part of Hydra, you were betraying your team. When you joined the Avengers, it was to get away from Hydra but now they were your team and your friends, you can even say they've become the closest thing to family. You were fighting with yourself internally. You wanted to be loyal to the team, but you also wanted to stay loyal to Abbott.

"What happens now?" you ask him.

"You go back to the Avengers and pretend as if you never saw me. Act the same as you always have," he hands you a mundane looking phone, "but when you're alone you report to me using this. Keep it hidden."

"You want me to spy on the Avengers for you?"

"Isn't that what you've been doing already?" he smiles. "You're the one who led them to the trap in my facility ."

He was referring to his old facility where you were raised and trained. It was the one where you found the video files and the virus that had infected the compound's speakers.

"You didn't think I would stay there after you left?" he said with a slightly taunting tone.

"No, I knew it was on purpose," you confessed, "You would never leave files like that behind on accident."

"What did you think of the videos? Did anyone else see those?" He stared at you expectantly.

"I keep those to myself... They left me with a lot of questions."

The doctor patted you on the cheek, "And I'll answer them, once you've done your job."

You looked at the phone he had given to you and then back at him. "And if I don't?"

You felt a shiver run down your spine as the doctor's blue eyes went from caring to cold and mean. "What?"

"What if I don't do as you say?" you said louder.

You felt Abbott let you go as he stared you down. Suddenly you weren't Hydra's trained assassin anymore. You weren't an Avenger; you were a scared ten-year-old boy afraid of getting punished. Abbott had never directly physically punished you, the guards and your handlers had done that, but Abbott had other ways to get the job done besides using his fists.

"I forgave your first betrayal," he said making it clear he didn't believe your story of being forced to join the Avengers, "I won't forgive another."

He took out a small device from his pocket and pressed it. The sound emitting from it instantly caused an excruciating headache. You crumbled to your knees as you desperately tried to muffle your ears with your hands. You didn't cry out like you had in the lab but that didn't stop the tears streaming down your face.

"I'm sorry!" you repeated over and over.

Abbott simply stared at you expressionlessly until he decided to take pity on you. He pressed the button again and you sighed in relief as the pain stopped. He then crouched to your level and you instantly wrapped your arms around him as you had done as a kid.

He held you close, "The Avengers are not your family, I am. We're so close to our goal, don't let them distract you."

You nodded as you wiped away your tears and tried to compose yourself. As Abbott was helping you back up you both heard footsteps approaching. The doctor quickly put his hat back on and gave you one last pat on the shoulder before walking further into the foliage.

You walked towards the footsteps and nearly ran into Wanda who looked at you concerned. "Why did you run out on me like that? What were you doing?"

"I saw a squirrel and ran after it," you said innocently. You smiled as if the past few minutes hadn't just happened.

Wanda sighed and rolled her eyes, "Next time just leave the park wildlife alone. And don't make me run after you."

"No promises." As you lead her back to the main path you can't help but look back, expecting to see Dr. Abbott but he's long gone.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
A/N: When I first started writing this fic I had no plot in mind but after the Ragnorak chapters I started trying to tie it in. Hopefully, you guys like where it's going.

I was planning on incorporating Black Panther into the story soon, but I've decided to hold back on that. Chadwick Boseman was a great person on and off-screen