▼ SPD ▼

》Sensory Processing Disorder is a complex disorder of the brain that affects developing children and adults. (the brain has trouble receiving and responding to information that comes in through the senses. )

Formerly referred to as sensory integration dysfunction, it is not currently recognized as a distinct medical diagnosis.

Sensory processing problems tend to come in two types, under- and over-sensitivity

Hypersensitive:

Be unable to tolerate bright lights and loud noises like ambulance sirens

Refuse to wear clothing because it feels scratchy or irritating—even after cutting out all the tags and labels—or shoes because they feel "too tight"

Be distracted by background noises that others don't seem to hear

Be fearful of surprise touch, avoid hugs and cuddling even with familiar adults

Be overly fearful of swings and playground equipment

Often have trouble understanding where their body is in relation to other objects or people, causing them to bump into things and appear clumsy

Have trouble sensing the amount of force they're applying; for example, they may rip the paper when erasing, pinch too hard or slam down objects.

Hyposensitive:

Have a constant need to touch people or textures, even when it's not socially acceptable

Not understand personal space even when kids the same age are old enough to understand it

Have an extremely high tolerance for pain

Not understand their own strength

Be very fidgety and unable to sit still

Love jumping, bumping and crashing activities

Enjoy deep pressure like tight bear hugs

Crave fast, spinning and/or intense movement

Love being tossed in the air and jumping on furniture and trampolines.

》At least one in twenty people in the general population may be affected by SPD.

Sensory processing problems are usually identified in children. But they can also affect adults. Sensory processing problems are commonly seen in developmental conditions like autism spectrum disorder.

Sensory processing disorder may affect one sense, like hearing, touch, or taste. Or it may affect multiple senses. And people can be over- or under-responsive to the things they have difficulties with.

》Most people are surprised to find out that we actually have eight sensory systems rather than five.

Visual

Auditory

Tactile

Olfactory

Gustatory

Vestibular

Proprioception

Interoception

》SPD is often inherited. Prenatal and birth complications have also been implicated as causal in SPD, as well as certain environmental factors.

》The exact cause of sensory processing problems has not been identified. But a 2006 study of twins found that hypersensitivity to light and sound may have a strong genetic component.
Other experiments have shown that children with sensory processing problems have abnormal brain activity when they are simultaneously exposed to light and sound.

Many families with an affected child find that it is hard to get help. That's because sensory processing disorder isn't a recognized medical diagnosis at this time.
Despite the lack of widely accepted diagnostic criteria, occupational therapists commonly see and treat children and adults with sensory processing problems.

Treatment depends on a child's individual needs. But in general, it involves helping children do better at activities they're normally not good at and helping them get used to things they can't tolerate.

Treatment for sensory processing problems is called sensory integration. The goal of sensory integration is to challenge a child in a fun, playful way so they can learn to respond appropriately and function more normally.