Chapter 5

"Comes marching home," Fire Lord Zuko sang quietly, sitting on the stairs of the palace and staring at the sea as it glittered in the sunset.

He sighed quietly, squeezing the scroll in his hand.

Zuko officially couldn't remember the last time he put the paper down. He had held onto it ever since he found it the morning he didn't find his grandson, it might as well be part of him now.

"Grandfather?"

Zuko heard the little girl's voice and glanced over his shoulder, "Yes Suki?"

Suki walked to her grandfather's side, holding two cups.

Zuko looked at her.

She wore her Kyoshi Warrior dress, this time complete with the makeup.

"I brought you tea," She said, sitting next to him on the steps.

Zuko took one of the cups, "Thank you, Sweetheart."

Suki rested against his side.

Zuko wrapped his arm around her and pulled her closer, kissing her hair since he didn't want to ruin her ghostly face paint. He took a sip of the tea and set the cup aside.

"Are you okay?" Suki asked, looking up at her grandfather as she wrapped her arms around his torso.

Suki had been doing everything she could to uphold her promise to Iroh, but sometimes it was just too hard to find time to keep her grandfather company.

She was able to spend every chance she had with her mother and grandmother, but with her grandfather tending to his duties as Fire Lord she couldn't find time, she was really starting to wonder how Iroh did it.

"I'm fine Dear," Zuko sighed. "I'm just missing your brother is all."

Suki nodded, resting her head against Zuko's chest and looking at the horizon as the stars began to appear, "I miss him too, Grandfather."

"I know you do," Zuko grabbed the girl under her arms and moved her onto his lap.

Suki did her best to move with him, since she knew she wasn't as little as she used to be and he wasn't as physically strong as he once was.

Zuko hugged his granddaughter.

Suki closed her eyes, "What did Roro write to you?"

Zuko looked at the scroll still clutched in his hand before shaking his head, "Nothing."

Suki nodded faintly, "I'm sure he'll be back soon."

"Maybe," Zuko sighed, still staring into the distance as if expecting the ship to appear.

"Suki!" Came Izumi's voice from the front gates of the palace.

Zuko hugged Suki before patting her back, "Sounds like it's bed time for this Kyoshi Warrior."

Suki jutted her lips out in a pout and hugged Zuko tight, clearly trying to stall.

Zuko rubbed her back, "We can spend time together tomorrow, Sweetheart."

"But-- But I want to now!" Suki said, sounding heart broken.

She felt terrible that she was having trouble keeping her promise by not spending time with their grandfather. She knew Iroh wouldn't be mad, but she took her missions seriously.

Zuko kissed her head, "Tomorrow I don't have anything big, we can spend the whole day together if you want. Deal?"

"Deal," Suki nodded weakly.