CHAPTER XIII

But mama I'm in love with a criminal

And this type of love isn't rational, it's physical

SAPPHIRE

I had been visiting the temple for 5 days in a row now. Everyday I would wake early in the morning and head out for the hill after grabbing a break fast. Every time my magic would show itself in more and more obvious forms. Despite, Trivia's warning I hadn't dropped my plan. It probably sounded stupid... but I was sure it would work. The suppression was already crumbling. Purple tendrils of light had managed to escape my fingers yesterday. The magic trying to burst through me made me feel feverish almost all the time. But it was worth it.

Currently, I sat meditating in the goddess's temple as usual. My eyes were closed but I was generally aware of everything around me. I could feel the gentle breeze seeping in through the open window. I was so at ease. Everything felt exactly like it should have. The magical aura of the temple, the very feeling of magic buried deep in my conscious. I could almost convince myself I was back home.

I went through the routine again, closing my fists tightly and trying to release the tide of the built up magic inside of me. All the time chanting a destruction spell under my breath and directing it towards the suppression. I felt a little flicker of flames lick the tips of my fingers, but that was all I could muster. I opened my eyes, breathing heavily. I lent against the backwall for support. My whole body was drenched in sweat. The magical sensation slowly faded back into the void. I grunted in frustration. Dawn was the best time to summon magic, and a matchstick worth of flame was all I could bring forth.

But somewhere deep down, the lack of magic wasn't the thing that was troubling me. The last few days I had been hoping if there was a way I could get my magic back without involving the Alpha, and what I had planned originally. But it looked like the Fates didn't agree...

I folded my knees up to my chest and sat hugging my legs for sometime. I could feel the magic doing somersaults in my head, like an excited dolphin. I just wished there was a way to let it out without anyone being hurt in the process. Trivia had already abandoned me, if my plan didn't work, even these people might end up doing the same. If I couldn't get back to my cult, everything was over for me. I would lose the only family I had been left with.

The thought of Ralph brought tears to my eyes and for once, I let them fall. I had been gone for so many days... they might be thinking I was dead; the boy might have been devastated. They might already be burning a shroud to me. I found myself wondering what color it might have been.

And on that depressing note, I closed my eyes once again.

****

I hit the showers as soon as I got back to the pack house. The cool water running down my back, made me feel better, washing all the sweat and grim of me. I thought about my progress as I stood under the water.

Getting on the wolves' good side. Check.

Finding the temple of Trivia. Check

Trying to talk to the Alpha. Check.

Getting access to the temple. Check.

Steps remaining:

Seduction.

Getting your powers back.

Escape.

I almost smiled at the amount of progress I had made in the past week. I would have laughed if my mind hadn't wandered to the next step. My smile melted in a gag. And for no reason whatsoever, I found a tear leaking from my eye. I angrily wiped it away and shut off the water, dried myself with a towel and put on a fresh change of clothes. I inhaled deeply before opened the bathroom door. I wasn't expecting what I saw.