50

***
I'm just so tired to share my nights

I wanna cry and I wanna love

But all my tears have been used up
***

*Trigger warning. Sensitive topics like abuse are being displayed in flashbacks. They're the long italic paragraphs*

Maya walks across the grass slowly with Timothée trailing behind her. He carries the picnic basket in his left hand while Maya carries the blanket and drinks.

They had been searching all over the park to find the perfect place. Every time he found an empty spot for them to enjoy their picnic Maya had something to say.

It wasn't perfect, it needs to be perfect.

"How about here?" She asks to point towards the meadow of flowers. "I think it's beautiful," He smiles at her reaction towards the purple flowers.

She opens the blanket and quickly sits down. Timothée follows after her and opens the basket for a cup. She hands him the water and he pours some into their cups.

"Thank you for everything, I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for you." She tells him.

"I should be thanking you. May you're something special, you make me feel- good." He sighs in relief. He's been wanting to get it off his chest for quite some time and right now feels like the perfect time.

Maya lays down onto the blanket. She stares up at the sky in silence. There's a lot on her mind, a lot she wants to say but can't bring herself to.

"I don't mean to push you away sometimes, it's a habit. It's my way of protecting myself from caring too much. But I think it's too late for that." Maya turns her head and looks up at Timothée's face. His face softens and he seems to be confused.

"I care too much about you. I'm scared of it." She whispers. He frowns and lays down beside her. He reaches over and tucks a piece of hair behind her hair. "I'll never hurt you." He cups her cheek with his right hand. She closes her eyes.

"I had a sister and her name was Athena. She was younger than me. She was my best friend. But I was stupid and got her hurt. I-" Maya paused and opens her eyes slowly and looks at him. She didn't want pity from him.

Especially not from what she was getting ready to tell him. She was tired of pity. It solves absolutely nothing.

Instead, he just seems to be paying attention. "I had a boyfriend at the time. His name was Noah," Maya frowns at the memory of him.

"You're so full of shit. I can't believe you would go to a party with Ryan after I told you that you can't go." Noah yells at Maya. She flinches at the sound of his loud voice echoing through the car. She was never used to his yelling no matter how often he would snap.

She always tries her best to avoid fighting with him. She was never up for Noah's yelling. Once he was out of control he would get physical.

Maya's not surprised that he can't trust her hanging out with a guy friend. It's always been the same thing with Noah. It terrifies Maya but the thought of leaving him is worse.

"Don't yell at me," Maya says softly.

"I'm your boyfriend! I can talk to you however I want." He smacks her. Maya gasps and winces. For a small second, it's hard to focus on the road as she drives down the highway. The rain is making it harder to focus.

"I'm driving, please. Athena's in the car too. Can we handle this later when I'm not driving?" Maya's face softens as she begs for him to stop. She can't put her sister in danger because of him. She was enough, this isn't Athena's battle.