MUHARRAM(1st month of Islamic calendar) & Day of ASHURA.

1 MUHARRAM 1442 (AH), the blessed month. One of the very historically famous month.

(please, please read till the end!) 

REMINDER; Islam is religion of peace! Promotes peace. There is no way for people who are for these practices (tatbir & zanjeer) to use this as a way to justify their actions by pointing out the story of Uwais al - Qarni (may Allah be pleased with him).

'Harming oneself is sinful' it's not my point of view but Islamic sharia'a's. And Islam is Allah's command.

Mulla 'Ali al-Qari settled the question in his short treatise on the virtues of Uwais al-Qarni. He says about this story:

"And know well that that which has become widespread on the tongues of the laity that Uwais [al-Qarni] extracted all his teeth out of extreme grief when he heard that the tooth of the Prophet [Allah's peace and blessings be upon him] had been struck, [because] he didn't reliably know which tooth it was exactly - then there is no basis for this [story] according to the scholars...

... along with the fact that it violates the noble Sacred Law, and because of this reason, not one of the Senior Companions did that [act of self-inflicted harm], because this type of act is vain and futile, and not proceeding from anyone except fools." ['Ali al-Qari, al-Ma'din al-Adni fi Fadl Uwais al-Qarni]

And Allah Most High knows best

SURAH BAQARAH

verse 195. And spend in the way of Allah and do not throw [yourselves] with your [own] hands into destruction. And do good; indeed, Allah loves the doers of good.

HADEETH

Abdullah ibn Masoud narrated that Prophet Muhammad pbuh daud; "he is not one of us who strikes his cheeks, tears his garment, or cries with the cry of jahilliya. (Al Bukhari and Muslim)

And read the story which I've pasted in this comment.➡ Ya'qub a.s which people us it as an excuse to beat themselves and mourn, without understanding the lesson of the story.

It is an excuse; mourning and harming oneself because you feel sorrowful. If we are sorrowful for any thing that saddens us or hurts us to the core we don't beat ourselves. Because it goes against the Islamic Shari'a. In this I shouldn't say or put myself in a sect of sunni or shi'a. I am solely a MUSLIM who believes in Qur'an. And Hadeeth and pious people who follow command of Allah. And so Qur'an does not allow self inflicting harm! The same Qur'an and it's knowledge that Imam Husain (r.a) followed. The same Qur'an and it's knowledge that Imam Hasan (r.a) followed. The same Qur'an and it's knowledge that Prophet Muhammad pbuh followed. The same Qur'an and it's knowledge that all their children followed. How can you change the rulings just because you are sorrowful?! We can not dare to compromise the words of Allah! Nothing can change it. Not then! Not now!