Chapter 18

"Men are not born to be violent and women are not raised to be tolerant "

Edward remembered those words from his teacher the last time he was able to attend his school. For a week now, he was on trips he was forced to follow Mr. Blake. A private tutor covered the topics he missed at school.

Edward wished if he could just leave his life behind and run away. He wanted to play with kids, running behind butterflies, climb on monkey bars and eat ice cream in the park and if not any of it, then at least let him join the flute class his crush attended.

Instead, he had to sit around ten to twenty grown-up men in suits who talk about things he had no idea about. He couldn't understand what was the point of taking him everywhere if he understood nothing and his lack of interest that he was so vocal about didn't help either.

So he had run away a few months and within an hour, was caught back.

He swore to never repeat it as the last time he did, he was caught by a human trafficking gang and was rescued only on last second.

Fear had frozen his blood for weeks but his life inside the mansion was no better. He realized in less than a year, he had developed a tendency of snapping on the smallest of things that bothered him even a bit.

He wanted out. So out that he was ready to kill for it.

What did his dad say? Taking risks is part of the adventure!

Along with his dog, Draco, Edward waited for midnight; the time when everyone was surely in their rooms, peacefully sleeping. He used to share his bedroom with Elvis but eventually drifted him off his room out of jealousy. He was left unbothered and free but he wasn't. Why?

Edward's room was on the second floor so jumping off the window wasn't the best idea unless he was ready to break his legs. He stuffed whatever cash he had been slipping inside his books into his pocket, tiptoed outside to search any escape, and Draco silently tailing behind.

He wondered how much seven years old Nora would cry after finding out them gone.

All the windows of the first floors were sealed and Edward couldn't think of any possible secret getaway. The light were dimmed for the night, barely giving away the directions to Edward. He was aware of every corner and turn but he didn't want to trip over anything and wake anyone up.

As he made it past the living room, checking windows all the way, he noticed the lock of the entrance door was disengaged. His face scrunched in confusion and surprise. It was midnight and there was no way any servant could have left the door open.

Frightened and unsure, he made small steps, his head turning back in case someone popped up and caught him.

The door made a creaking noise as he pushed it open, peering outside for one more assurance. Draco seemed to be on the verge of howling after begin constantly shushed.

Edward let him out first. Seeing his way clear as nobody came, he took a deep breath and ran.

Once they jumped out of the boundary, Edward ran free, enjoying the midnight breeze, the waves of the ocean applauding him the whole way.

Draco finally barked, following his little owner. The sand beneath made it harder for them to pace up their sprinting but Edward couldn't shake the feeling of finally getting away.

Cold air whipped his bare face and he cursed for not bringing his jacket. He hoped the money he took would be enough for him to buy the things he wanted.