chapter sixteen

A spell that will help

'Rank me as one of the maddest.'
-Elijah Mikaelson

⚯͛

22nd January 1995

"The tasks in the Black Lake?" Neveah asked in disbelief, looking at the two girls - Malia who was still dripping wet through - in shock, "How - how do you even know that?"

"We put the egg underwater," Malia said, glaring at passing students as she left a trail of water behind her, "It sang a weird song, and that's what we've gotten from it."

"And what was this song," Neveah continued, walking into the library, "Come and seek us where our voices sound - then what?"

"We cannot sing above the ground." Raven continued, Neveah nodded in understanding.

"I see what you mean about the Black Lake, then. Mermaids singing above water just sound like screeching - I obviously didn't piece that together until now, though."

Raven raised an eyebrow, "And how is it that you know this?" She asked, suggestively.

Neveah blushed slightly, "Nathan told me."

Both Malia and Raven looked at each other, smirks on their faces, "You like him, don't you?" Malia asked, wiggling her eyebrows.

Neveah recoiled, although her cheeks stayed tinted a crimson shade of red, "What? of course - of course not.... besides we have bigger issues to deal with now, the task isn't that far away."

Raven groaned as the group entered the library, "Don't remind me." She muttered, leaning against the shelf as Neveah started scanning through them.

"Well, obviously you don't want to go in the water; but you still have to compete due to the binding magical contract of the tournament," Neveah thought, out loud, "We should probably ask Nathan about it; he might know something."

"I'll go find Nathan," Raven muttered, "Any ideas where he might be?"

"Probably roaming the halls, or sat in a window somewhere, studying," Malia answered, before muttering, "Nerd." underneath her breath.

Raven nodded, hobbling out of the Libary, leaving both Malia and Neveah who continued searching through various books, "Do you reckon a summoning charm would work?" Malia said, not looking up from a charms book, after a moment of silence.

Neveah shook her head, "Doubt it, she'd need to know what she's summoning and all that we know is that it's something that she'll 'sorely miss' - it could be plenty of things."

Malia nodded, turning back to the book, "Wait - why won't she want to go in the water, anyway?" She asked after another few minutes.

Neveah sighed, looking at her book as she replied, "I figured she'd of told you."