Little Brother

The group had begun to travel to find the new air benders. They had only found one so far that was willing to go with them but seeing the different places in the Earth Kingdom was interesting for Sukara. It had changed a lot, the Earth Kingdom had expanded itself significantly since she had seen it last.

The kid they had picked up was cool too, if a little mischievous. Kai came to join Sukara by the window of the air ship.

"Hey" he said, taking the seat next to her, "so Jinora said you can air bend too but you want to hide it. Why?"

"You're gonna listen to her over Tenzin?" she asked him.

"I don't know, can you air bend?" Kai asked, he gave her his best charming smile along with his question.

Sukara laughed before sighing and said, "you're a liar right?"

"What?"

"I mean, you could keep a secret for me," Sukara laughed as she looked over at him. She pitied him a bit. They both had no family left to be there for them. And if telling him that she could air bend would make him feel less alone, she could do that for him. "Promise me?"

She held out her pinky finger to him. He laughed and took it in a promise to her.

Once he let go, Sukara held out her hand in front of them. With her palm facing up, she formed a small circle around her hand. She watched his eyes light up as he saw the small piece of air bending.

"Why would you want to hide it?" Kai asked her, "with your water bending as well you must be second best to the Avatar."

"No, I don't want the trouble," she told him, "they'll ask too many questions that I can't answer. I just wanted to see the world and now I've found friends. I don't want to ruin that by being an experiment for Tenzin to study. Dual bending doesn't seem to be that common. I told you to make you feel better and you promised not to tell."

"Oh yeah? what are you gonna do if I do?" Kai asked, turning in his chair to face her.

"I'll call you a liar."

"Why would Tenzin believe you?" he said with a smirk, "he knows more about me than he does about you."

"But he doesn't know that," Sukara told him, leaning back into her chair, "I've been nothing but polite and as far as he knows, honest. I am most certainly not a lying thief with a massive crush on the girl that said I'm an air bender."

"Hey! I don't have a crush!" Kai said, jumping back in his chair.

"No, of course not," Sukara laughed, patting him on the shoulder before getting up, "go have fun with your girlfriend."

"She's not my-!" he tried, but gave up as she walked away from him.

She was right though. Sharing a secret with him had made him feel better. He didn't feel so alone anymore, he was glad to have more than just air bending in common with someone. Sukara seemed to share his chaotic attitude as well, she was someone who he could get along with.