Potions

Potions

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Hadrian inwardly scowled at McGonagall but lowered his head slightly, shaking it slowly.

"No ma'am." he said quietly and she sighed. Severus, who had been silent, now spoke up. "I'll take it from here Minerva. He is of my house, I shall deal with him." he stated, his tone cold and Hadrian winced. McGonagall looked hesitant but nodded.

"Alright..don't be too harsh." she said and Hadrian almost raised a brow. He wondered how much of an impression his father made on her for her to say something like that.

Severus nodded once and the two left Gryffindor tower in silence.

Hadrian was waiting for Severus to snap at him, but it never came.

"Severus? Aren't you upset?" he asked slowly and the potions Master paused, his dark eyes meeting Hadrian's. "Oh no. I'm not upset. I'm just surprised you didn't curse Finnigan when you had the chance." he replied and Hadrian blinked. "Oh..um.." well he wasn't expecting that.

Severus gave a rare smile and Hadrian stared at him.

"I know how good you are on a broom. You and Draco both. I won't punish you but for appearances sake, you'll have detention with me for tonight. Now..." the two stopped at Flitwick's room and Severus stepped inside, his eyes roaming over the class slightly.

"Flitwick, mind if I borrow Flint for a moment?" he asked and the short man jumped slightly, looking over at Severus before looking back at the student he had been helping.

"Not at all. Have him back before class ends." he said and a tall, slim boy stood from his seat, looking somewhat confused as Severus led him out into the hall.

"Flint, I've found your new Seeker." he stated and Flint cast a sceptical glance toward Hadrian. "He's a first year, sir." he stated and Severus nodded. "I am aware. He is also a first year that caught a flying object at nearly two hundred and fifty feet in the air." he said and Flint's eyes widened.

"What do you know about Quidditch?"

"Everything. Draco and I practice at home all the time." said the raven, hiding how excited he truly felt. "Good. Practice is next week Saturday at seven. Don't be late." said Flint and nodded to Severus before going back into the Charms room.

"What about my broom? It's at home." said Hadrian and Severus smiled. "I'll take care of that. I'll be seeing you in class." he said and Hadrian nodded.

When the raven made his way back down to the dungeons, he was greeted by the sight of all his friends waiting for him.

Draco, who had been leaning against the stone wall, now pushed himself up, turning toward Hadrian eagerly.

"What happened?" he asked, the others shooting him questioning looks and Hadrian smirked.

"I'm the new Slytherin Seeker." he said and laughed at the way their mouths dropped, especially Ron. His eyes bulging out of his head comically. "Bloody hell. That would make you the youngest Seeker Slytherin's ever had." breathed the red head and Draco smirked.

"Yeah? Did you look that up?" he cooed and Ron blushed. "Shove off Malfoy." he grumbled and Hadrian rolled his eyes at his friends.

"Will Severus get your broom from Malfoy's?" asked Neville as the group finally made their toward the potions room. The other Slytherin first years were ahead of them and behind they could hear the Gryffindors coming up.

"I'm not sure." said Hadrian.

"Oh, this'll be great." smirked Draco suddenly and Ron chuckled. "Yeah. Fred and George mentioned how Snape always finds a way to take points from the Gryffindors." he said.

Said students were murmuring quietly behind, their nerves obvious to the snakes. The group of students entered the cold room, the Slytherins seated on the right and the Gryffindors on the left.

The Gryffindors only ceased their chatter when the door slammed open, Severus Snape swooping into the room, his robes billowing behind him.

He stood in front of the class, arms crossed and expression emotionless as his eyes roamed over them.

"There will be no wand waving or silly incantations in this class," he starts coldly, "As such I do not expect many of you to understand the subtle and exact art that is potion making." his gaze landing on Longbottom and causing the boy to pale drastically.

"However, for those select few that posses the preposition," he paused, his eyes meeting Draco's and the boy sat up straighter with his Godfather's obvious praise, causing Granger to snort and roll her eyes.

"I can teach you to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can teach you to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." he said, his eyes narrowed at Longbottom.

"Or perhaps some of you have come to school with a power so formidable that you believe it best to not, pay, attention." he snapped, causing the boy to look up from his writing.

"Longbottom. Our resident sob story." stated Severus, causing the Slytherins to laugh and Longbottom to go red in the face. "Yes-"

"Tell me Mr. Longbottom, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" barked the brooding male and Longbottom stammered over his words, his eyes darting around for some form of help.

"I don't know sir." he squeaked and Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy. "I see. Let's try again. Tell me Mr. Longbottom, where would I look if I wanted to find a Bezoar?" at this Granger's hand shot up and Ron rolled his eyes, whispering something to Theo that made the boy snicker and Granger go red in the face.

"I'm sorry sir. I don't know.." mumbled Longbottom, sweat beading on his brow. Severus' lip turned up in a slight sneer and he clicked his tongue. "And what, Mr. Longbottom, is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfsbane?"

Longbottom didn't bother to respond this time and Severus sighed heavily, obviously irritated.

"Pity. It's clear that you didn't receive an ounce of your parent's intelligence." he muttered and Longbottom sank in his chair, his face red as Draco snickered.

"Malfoy, what is the answer to my first question?" asked Severus suddenly, meeting the blonde's silver gaze and he sat up straighter in his seat, a triumphant smirk on his face as he said, "A sleeping potion known as Draught of Living Death." Severus nodded then looked over at Hadrian.

"Black, the answer to my second question?"

"A Bezoar is found in the stomach of a goat and will save you from the most fatal of poisons, sir." said the raven, smirking at Granger's red face.

"And Weas-"

"Sir, Monkshood and Wolfsbane-"

"Ms. Granger, did I call on you?" snapped Severus and the girl went purple with embarrassment, her lips a thin line on her face. "No but-"

"Then please, be silent. As I was saying. Weasley, the answer to my final question?" he said and Ron looked hesitant as he said, "They're the same plant sir. Also known as Aconite."

At this all eyes were on Ron and the red head found himself smirking at the impressed stares he received from the Slytherins as well as Severus himself.

"Good. It seems that even Weasley, with his lack of resources, has made time to open a book." the Gryffins were silent until Severus narrowed his eyes at them. "Well? Why aren't you all writing this down?!" he snapped and the sound of quills was heard for the rest of the class period.