A Marriage Contract (Draco)

Draco Malfoy stared at the sheet placed before him blankly, his eyes unseeing.

"Draconis, you knew this day was coming. You shouldn't be so shocked." sighed Lucius, feeling only the smallest bit of remorse. He had just finished writing up a marriage contract for Draco and Astoria Greengrass, Daphne's younger sister.

He had told Draco before, that like all purebloods, he would be in an arranged marriage and Draco had accepted his fate..that is until Hadrian appeared.

Lucius wasn't a fool. He saw the way Draco looked at the raven but unfortunately Hadrian was to be the Dark Lord's, and his Lord didn't share. Not at all. If Draco pursued Hadrian, he would end up dead or worse. And there was no way Lucius could stop the Dark Lord.

Even if he wanted to. To betray his Lord was betraying himself and his father, Abraxas. He couldn't. If Tom so wished it, Lucius would kill himself just because the Dark Lord ordered him to. It wasn't as simple as leaving or switching sides when it came to being in service of a Dark Lord.

There was ancient magic involved, making the bond only breakable by death. And even then, it could only be broken if the soul wished it. Lucius' did not. Just like his father before him he would follow the Dark Lord in the next life and the next so long as he lived.

There was no other option.

"I'm not I just.." the younger blonde trailed off, his heart heavy and a deep sadness in his eyes. He had thought that maybe, just maybe if he could get Hadrian to like him, he wouldn't have to marry someone he didn't know nor like. But he hadn't expected Hadrian to belong to the Dark Lord.

Now it would be impossible. The signet bracelet now meant nothing.

It didn't matter.

Hadrian was taken. And would be forever. After all, he knew the Dark Lord was immortal and would find a way to make Hadrian immortal as well. He wouldn't want to part with him. And without how obviously possessive and protective of the raven the Dark Lord was, it was unlikely he'd feel the same about any other wizard.

"I love him so much." he whispered and Lucius' expression softened slightly.

"Did you know, before I was arranged to be with your mother, I had quite the crush on Sirius?" Draco's eyes widened and his father smiled. "Shocking I know. I wanted an arranged marriage with him instead but he refused. He was light at the time. I'm not sure if he considered liking someone of the same gender, though I heard he and Remus had some moments, but I didn't care then. I almost begged him to consider, but he did not. And then I saw him going after Hadrian's mother. He was completely in love with her. They had a connection I couldn't dream of understanding." Lucius trailed off, his eyes far away and Draco stared at him.

"Not until I truly met Narcissa. We were classmates of course but after Sirius' mother and my father drew up the contract, we started to spend time together. It was awkward and it was obvious that I didn't like her, but she was surprisingly stubborn. I suppose it's a Black thing. She did everything to gain my attention and I ignored it. Or I tried. Soon she decided to ignore me and I hated it. She started talking to some annoying Ravenclaw boy and when I tell you I've never been so angry in my life, I have never felt that much rage ever. Not until I became my Lord's right hand. I ended up cursing the boy. To this day he's still in a magical coma. After that your mother and I were inseparable."