-8-

DOMINIC ALEXANDER

DOMINIC ALEXANDER

I grunted as I hoisted my body up from the uncomfortable concrete that I had made do with last night after arriving to the centre past their operating hours. It was a two-hour bus ride and a half hour walk to actually get to the facility. Being as it was so close to a lake, the whether was far from what I had anticipated or even packed for. My duffle bag was filled with most of the clothes that Anaya had purchased before my release along with a few things that Mr. Thompson was kind enough to allow me to have, none of which was warm enough but I had layered up in order to gain some kind of warm and cushion for my night's rest in the parking lot across from the building. I had been through and experienced worse, so this really was the least of my problems; right about now all I wanted to do was get checked in.

Thankfully, I was far too tired from the travel to track or even remember if I had had any episodes while sleeping out here. To be quite honest, the cold concrete reminded me a lot of being back in that cell; in a way it gave me a sense of comfort. The centre was in a rural area so it was very peaceful and quiet, I could hear my thoughts and although they weren't the greatest, it amplified exactly what the issues were. I couldn't hide or try to distract myself; I didn't have anyone to talk me down from the things that angered me or a place to run and hide; being out here forced me to deal with it. Yes, I got sleep in but at the back of my head I still held on to those thoughts.

Now that the sun was out, I was ready to finally get my head back in the game. I was here for a purpose and wanted to fulfill it before the old me kicked in and retreated for the hills. I stretched where I stood and felt my stomach growl as the hunger began to set in. A reminder that I hadn't really eaten much at my moms, meaning that I was pretty much going on two days without any food.

I shook it off nonetheless, threw my duffle bag over my shoulder and headed for the entrance of the 'Bright Side Rehabilitation Centre'. The exterior was a cozy cottage, which enough fencing to make it look homey yet still very secure. The times were written across a white Bristol board that they stuck to the door, it read: Sign-in 9AM Monday-Friday. I didn't have a phone on me or a watch to read the time, but I assumed it was 9 or close enough because I watched as an older man began to open up the doors.

The man looked up at me meanwhile kicking the doorstopper in place. As I approached him, his eyes lit up and a big grin crept across his face. I watched as he guarded his eyes from the sun with one hand, waving with the other.

I waved, although I would much rather give him a head nod; it only felt right. The moment I got face-to-face; I outstretched my hand. "Dominic Alexander." I introduced.

"Louis Bright." He shook my hand and said, "You are quite early."

"I came up last night actually and realized I was too late for the sign in."

"Oh, how late?"

"An hour," I slightly shrugged. "I took the bus two hours, then walked since the bus didn't come any further."