Chapter 28 - The Bane of Hogwarts

A/N: DUDES. Important life update: I have officially discovered AVPM. Now, I know what you're thinking... FAKE POTTERHEAD!! HOW CAN YOU HAVE ONLY JUST DISCOVERED IT?! AND I AGREE!! What on earth have I been doing with my life?! But now I'm in love and have all the songs stuck in my head all the time. Dumbledore is my favourite - his accent and choice of footwear are hilarious and you can tell he's a properly trained singer cause his voice is 👌🏼. Plus the guy who plays Lupin/Hagrid is great AND obviously the guy who plays Ron is such a cute goof too ❤️ If you're a StarKid fan pls comment an AVPM reference to welcome me into your fan club lel

ps IM FALLING IN LOVE FALLING IN LOVE FALLING IN LOOOOVE WITH HERMIONE GRANGER 🎶

pps See my new favourite fan art above 😂❤️

*

Asha's heart was pounding. The muscles in her legs were screaming in protest. She ran faster. On her left, the moonlit waters of the Black Lake were still abnormally choppy.

The stones underfoot grew in size as Asha raced up a rocky incline. Soon she was having to leap from rock to rock, using her wand to blast away the surface ice as she did so. The peak of the slope loomed. She was suddenly met with a sheer drop. Another person might've fought to slow themselves in time to avoid toppling into an unknown abyss. Asha, however, pushed her pace to its limits. She planted the ball of her foot on the sharp cliff-edge and launched herself forwards with all her strength.

Her stomach lurched in response to the thrilling sensation of weightless free fall. Time seemed to slow as she soared over a rushing stream many meters below. As a thick canopy of leaves appeared beneath her, she tucked her arms and legs into a pin drop and plummeted through the foliage. Instantly, the forest opened up around her.

"Arresto Momentum!" she cried just in time. An invisible upwards force enveloped her body and her weight seemed to return ten-fold. But the jarring sensation quickly abated as her boots lightly touched down on the icy dirt.

For a brief moment, a smile tugged at Asha's lips as she relished in the adrenaline pumping through her veins. Hands on knees and panting hard, she stood there for a minute or two. She went to wipe the sweat off her forehead but found her skin dry - it was a freezing cold night after all.

Once she had finally caught her breath, she turned around and squinted up through the trees. It was a lot darker in the forest than it had been under the open sky. Raising her wand, a blinding white light burst from its tip. Even so, she couldn't make out the rocky outcropping from which she had jumped.

Though the ceiling of leaves above her was thick, Asha had landed in somewhat of a clearing. The surrounding forest was dense and overgrown, except to the right where it thinned out and she could almost make out the edge of the forest. She might've acted stupidly tonight, but at least she wasn't witless enough to wander into the depths of the Forbidden Forest alone.

She sent an orb of golden light floating into the centre of the clearing before pocketing her wand. Walking to the edge of the glade, she hoisted herself onto a low hanging branch. Leaning her back against the trunk, she let one leg dangle, gently swinging it back and forth.

Initially, her intense two minutes of exertion had done a fairly good job at releasing her anger. But the longer she sat still, the more of her self-critical emotions returned. She was furious at herself for being so stupid. She didn't even understand how it had happened; how she'd become so carried away without even noticing. Snape must think she was such a reckless idiot. Well, to be fair... she was.

Asha knew her only job now was to stay hidden until Snape came to get her and broke the news; what was the extent of the damage of her actions? She broke off a twig and snapped it in half. The thought that he was having to clean up her mess was sickening. She was a grown-ass woman! She shouldn't need protecting or babysitting. Every time she was around him she found herself trying to prove she was an adult (even before she found out she actually was one), capable of taking care of herself. Yet somehow she continued to achieve the total opposite.