seven

I opened up my eyes and smiled

I opened up my eyes and smiled. Last night I had dreamed about Draco. I couldn't stop thinking about last night. It felt so good to be in his arms on that broomstick. I'm starting to worry that I might be growing feelings for him.

I sat up and walked over to the mirror. I discovered that I had a large red scratch across my face. I groaned. I could try a spell to fix it, but I didn't want to accidentally mess up my face. I would just have to go the class with it.

I dressed quickly in my robes and slipped out of the dormitories. I had Charms first. When I got to class, I took a seat and pulled out my wand. I kept my head down. I didn't want people to ask me about the scratch.

The rest of the class filed in. Professor Flitwick started teaching. He was standing on a stack of books, and his squeaky voice echoed through the room.

My brain shifted to Draco again. God, why couldn't I stop thinking about him? He's the son of two Death Eaters, I can't like him.

I snapped out of it when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I spun around. It was the same blonde haired grey eyed boy I had just been thinking of.

"Merlin, what happened to your face?" he hissed.

My hand shot up and covered my cheek. "Nothing."

"You're hurt," he said softly. "What happened."

"I told you, it's nothing," I whispered. "Nothing."

"Did someone hurt you?" he said angrily. "I'll kill them."

I rolled my eyes. "Someone hit me, but it's fine."

His eyes widened. "Who the hell hit you?" His nostrils were flared with anger.

"It doesn't matter," I muttered. "I told you, it's fine."

I turned around and buried my face in my Charm's book.

"It was Pansy, wasn't it?" he said.

I sighed and looked at him again. "Yeah, it was Pansy."

He gritted his teeth. "I hate her."

I grinned. "She fancies you, you know."

"Oh, I know," he said, annoyance in his tone. "She's fancies me since first year. We've been on and off, but she'll never let me go."

"Mr. Malfoy, Miss Hastings!" squeaked Professor Flitwick. "Do you have something you'd like to share with the rest of the class?"

I whipped my head forward and my face flushed. "No, Professor," I muttered.

"Please pay attention," he said.

I nodded. From across the room, Hermione was staring at me intently. Of course she wouldn't like the fact that I was talking to Draco.

When the class was over, Hermione pulled me aside. "Why were you talking to Malfoy?" she inquired.

"No reason," I replied hastily.

She tilted her head. "Don't tell me your friends with him now."

I laughed. "Of course not. He's a git." But I didn't really believe myself. He wasn't really a git.

She smiled. "Good. What happened to your face?"

I had almost forgotten about the scratch. "Oh, Pansy slapped me."

She gasped. "You're kidding!"

I shook my head. "Nope. She's crazy."

Hermione pulled out her wand and held it up to my face. "Episkey," she muttered.

I could feel the scratch closing. I gasped and touched my face. It was gone. "Thanks, Hermione," I said.

She smiled. "You're welcome."

A burly blonde boy that I didn't recognize came over to us. Hermione rolled her eyes. "Hey, Hermione," he said. He looked at me. "I don't know your name."

"Evangeline," I replied.

"That's a nice name," he said. "I'm Cormac."

"What do you want, Cormac?" Hermione asked.

He turned to Hermione and looked her up and down. "I was just wondering if you wanted to grab a butterbeer with me tomorrow."

Hermione swallowed. "Oh, um... I'm really busy tomorrow..."

"It's Sunday tomorrow," he said. "There aren't any classes."

"I have lots to study, though.. I have to get good marks..." Hermione said.

I could tell Hermione wasn't comfortable, so I said. "Actually, Hermione and I already have plans, so she can't get a butterbeer with you."

He looked at me intently. "You're pretty."

I was taken aback. "Um... thanks?"

"So, you should get a butterbeer with me," he asked.

"Do you want me or Hermione?" I said.

"You," he said.

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "I'm not going out with you, Cormac."

He smirked and my heart fluttered. He sure was annoying, but he was cute. "Come on, Evangeline, it'll be fun."

I thought for a moment. Maybe going out with Cormac could help me get rid of my weird attraction for Draco Malfoy. I smiled at him. "Sure. Tomorrow at four sound good?"

He grinned. "Yeah, sounds good." He turned around and walked away.

Hermione stared at me, her mouth agape. "Why did you say yes?"

I shrugged. "He's kind of cute."

"He's horrible!" she exclaimed. "But at least maybe now he'll leave me alone."

We laughed and walked down the hallways. But at the back of my mind, I still couldn't stop thinking about Draco Malfoy.