Chapter Sixty-Two

I did as Clarence asked and focused on him the whole time I was giving my speech about the purpose of the gathering and my goals for meeting everyone. I hadn't written it, so I had to trust that it was right.

"So, without further ado, I would like to give you all the opportunity to congratulate your king and queen on thirty-three years of marriage." I finished my speech and stepped back from the microphone, clapping my hands as the king and queen stood to wave.

The glance I snuck at Clarence had me believing I was doing all right, too. But the king's face was stoic as always, giving me no hint as to my success or failure.

If I don't get to stay, this is a wonderful last day, I thought to myself. I've given these people the event of a lifetime.

As I was looking out at the faces smiling up at me, I somehow missed Queen Adele walking towards me. I didn't know she wanted to make a speech. I frantically stepped back from the podium to leave space for her, but instead of walking past me, she came directly towards me with tears brimming in her eyes.

"Thank you, my dear." She hugged me and it took me a second before I realized I should return the favour. The shutters of the cameras around the garden were going off a mile a minute, each one wanting to get the best candid shot of my hug with the queen.

"You're welcome." I smiled, though she could not see it. "I wanted to do something nice for them." I gestured to the crowd. "Whether I leave or not I want them to know he cares."

"Very smart. It's a pity I didn't come up with it." She winked and turned back to her husband.

That's the trick, isn't it? Clarence's words rang in my head, to make them think it's their idea. Good one, Queen Adele. I smiled and returned to the podium.

"And now, if you would please enjoy the party. Refreshments will be served momentarily."

Even as I spoke, the men in dark green and gold uniforms came streaming out of the palace carrying trays of food and drink for our guests. I followed behind them, disappearing into the crowd as best I could, desperately wanting to not be the center of attention for a minute or two.

I looked around and couldn't find Clarence anywhere so I just kept walking through the crowd of people until I was alone on a path lined with dark, hanging tree branches. I knew exactly where it led, so I followed it until it opened up into the small circular area where I'd worn Clarence's jacket and stolen a kiss just the other night.

I sat down on the nearest bench and took my shoes off, letting my aching feet squish into the cold, dewey grass. I relaxed my head backwards onto the bench and took a few deep breaths.

The first part is over, you only have to mingle now, I tried to convince myself. But the rational part of me remembered there was one more task this evening and if my dress did what I wanted it to, I would definitely be the center of attention.

"I thought I might find you here," Clarence's voice spoke from my left.

"I didn't hear you coming," I said, opening my eyes and looking towards him. "Sorry to disappear, I just needed a second. This is all... a lot."

"I know." He smiled and walked over to sit down beside me. "We all feel that way sometimes, but you do get used to it."

"How long does that take?"

"I got over it about a month ago," he joked, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "I'm kidding. But having someone beside you certainly makes it less scary, no?"

"Yes." I nodded. "It does."

"You were wonderful," he said, laying my head on his shoulder and kissing my hair. "My mother was in tears."

"The good kind, I hope." I smiled up at him.

"Of course," he reached down and kissed me and I so desperately wanted to stay there forever.

When he broke off the kiss, I gave him one more quick peck and then sat up. "We have to go back. I think it's bad form for the hosts to disappear."

He nodded, though his eyes said he didn't want to leave any more than I did. "Let's go." He stood up and held out his arm. "If anyone asks, we'll say we went for a stroll in the gardens with one of our guests."

"That's a lie," I pointed out, while sliding my shoes back on.

"Yes," he said, matter-of-factly. "But a lie no one will be able to prove. So let's just get back and be engaging hosts."

I smiled and accepted his extended arm.

"You look beautiful in that dress, by the way," he whispered as we were walking back down the path. "You weren't kidding."

Not even the dress I was talking about. I smiled at the thought. "Thank you."

We walked in silence, making sure to stand the proper distance apart as we emerged from the path arm in arm. No one even noticed us as we split apart and started to mingle in the crowd.

I spent the rest of the afternoon discussing everything under the sun with our guests as they all asked me questions about myself I didn't really want to answer. I was careful to only answer those questions about my personal life that had been approved. The last thing I needed right now was another PR nightmare.

Finally, as I was discussing the merits of school systems with a very severe looking man, Semret tapped me on the shoulder. "I'm sorry to interrupt, Miss Levin, but we need you now."

Thank you.

I turned to face the man I was talking to. "I'm so sorry, Sir, but I must go now. Thank you so much for being with us today." I shook his hand one more time and followed Semret around the edge of the crowd and back toward the podium.

"Thank you," I said, making my way to where Clarence stood.

Semret grabbed onto my arm and held me in place. "You wait here," she said quietly. "Queen's orders."

I swallowed the ever growing lump in my throat and smiled as Queen Adele came to the podium to speak.

"Ladies and gentleman," her voice rang clear over the gathered crowd as all other conversations ceased. "I want to personally thank you for being here today to celebrate our anniversary. It means the world to me that you want to share in this moment with us." She paused for the polite applause to scatter through the crowd.

"Thank you." She smiled demurely as they calmed their applause. "I would also like to personally thank our lovely Miss Levin for all the work she has done to put this together." Another pause for applause, during which I had to resist the urge to look at my shoes, instead smiling graciously at Queen Adele and the crowd.

She was looking straight at me as she concluded her speech. "We would not be where we are today without the contributions and talents of Miss Levin and I will be forever grateful that my son found her."

I smiled at the hidden meaning behind her words. One down. One to go. I turned to look at the king who, as usual, was unreadable.