1 - Truth Or Dare

It's Friday night, and there's a party in the neighbourhood.

With the neighbourhood kids.

Though if they knew I called some of them 'kids' in my mind, they'd probably throw a fit.

The music was loud, but not absurdly so. The house, however, was weirdly dark. The dim lights gave off the impression that they're going to do improper things, instead of simply playing Just Dance and Mario Kart all night.

I looked around.

Everyone from Ravenwood was gathered in the Moore house. It's at the edge of the neighbourhood. You'd think it would make more sense for a neighbourhood party to be held in a house in the middle of the area, but now they could blast the music as loudly as they wanted.

"Hey, Monty!" Violet Turner called out when I walked into the backyard. She's sitting on one of the lounge chairs, her dark hair in two braids and a red cup in her hand.

"Hey, Turner," I said, and walked over to her. "How's it going?"

"Good, good. Just enjoying a night with people who get me, you know."

Not really. I didn't feel like a lot of people get me. But I guessed I was not the only seventeen year old teenager who thought that.

"Yeah," I said. "Nothing lifts the spirits like loud music, alcohol, and rebellious teenagers."

"Right?"

She knocked our red cups against each other, reminding me that I hadn't drank a lot from my Bacardi Coke.

I took a sip. It's still not very good.

"Is everything good at school?" I asked her.

Violet pulled a face. "Ugh, don't talk to me about school. For one night, I want to forget about that hell place."

'Hell place' felt too strong a phrase, but I knew it's not cool to like school so I just nodded.

"Let's do something fun," she said, moving to her feet. "Truth or dare or something."

Before I could give my opinion on her suggestion, she's already yelling at the other Ravenwood kids gathered in the garden.

Because truth or dare promised gossip and possible embarrassing sexual situations, everyone was interested.

I wasn't.

I wanted to slip back into the living room and join a round of Just Dance, but Violet turned around, her braids flying through the air, and called out, "Monty, come on!"

***

We're sitting in a circle on the Moore's impeccable and artificial grass.

It's late April, so it's warm enough to sit outside. Not that it would've mattered to me, I had the foresight to bring a cardigan.

After a quick discussion, everyone agreed to play truth or dare. Violet was clearly the leader in this group, judging by the way everyone looked at her to tell them what to do.

"Okay, well, I'll go first, and then I'll point to the next person, okay?"

She picked dare and when prompted to take off an article of clothing, immediately took off her shirt. There's appreciative yelling, and she grinned before taking a big gulp of her drink.

I watched her bright blue bra and wondered if I should feel excited or aroused.

We played a few more rounds. Emily told about the time she walked in on her parents doing it, Curtis admitted he's taken nude photos of himself, Daniel had to let the girls shave his legs, and Michael had to put ice cubes in his pants; the latter being my idea.