Chapter 20

The Malfoy family was sitting around the dining table, having dinner together one last time before the kids would have to go back to Hogwarts.

Mia smoothed her shirt out nervously. She had a feeling that something not so pleasant would happen, she just didn't know what. But then again, her father was sitting just across from her, which was a bad omen in itself.

"So," Draco spoke up, looking around the table. "New school year starts tomorrow. You have everything you need, right?"

"Yes," they all replied.

"Good. Kaden, are you going to try out for the Quidditch team this year?"

"I don't think so, no," he shook his head.

"No?" His father raised his eyebrows. "Very well, then."

"What about you, Mia?" Katherine asked with a gentle smile.

The girl's eyes widened, but she composed herself quickly. "I'm still not interested in Quidditch," she replied in a flat tone.

"And you shouldn't be," Draco shook his head. "Quidditch is a very dangerous sport, Katherine. It's not for girls."

"Not for girls?" His wife asked back. "Yeah, right. Tell that to Mary."

"It's really not," Mason joined in. "I have been requesting not to allow girls in the teams for years, but they keep telling me that it wouldn't be fair. I'm honestly just worried about them, but if they want to get hurt so badly, then who am I to stop them?"

"Didn't Jessica Wood knock you out with a Bludger last year?" Mia asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"And how would you know?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "You don't even go to Quidditch matches."

"Word gets around, Mason. I didn't have to be there, everyone was talking about it."

"Jessica is scary," Kaden commented. "Maybe it's better if I stay away from our team."

"Anyway," Draco started speaking again, making the kids fall quiet. "It's going to be your last year," he looked at the twins. "Are you ready for your N.E.W.T.s?"

"Yes," Mia nodded.

"Good. Mason?"

"I will be, yes."

"That's great, but don't spend all your time studying, alright? Make sure you spend enough time with Amber as well."

"Of course, Dad," he nodded.

"Actually," Draco turned his attention back to Mia. "What about you?"

"What about me?" She asked anxiously.

"Don't you think it's time for you to get a boyfriend?" He gave her a questioning look.

"No?"

"And why is that?"

"I mean... I'm only seventeen, and like you said, we have our N.E.W.T.s at the end of the year, I need to concentrate on my studies to make sure I get the best grades that I possibly can."

"I get that, but school isn't everything, Mia. Look at Arvin, he already started a family of his own, Mason already has Amber, what about you?"

"Maybe I don't need a boyfriend to live a fulfilling life," she narrowed her eyes slightly.

"Nonsense. You know, I talked to Blaise a few days ago, he told me about how Zane is still single as well. He seems like a great guy, maybe we could set something up –"

"Set something up?!" Mia raised her voice, not believing her ears. "Are you joking?"

"Don't use that tone with me, young lady!" He gave her a warning look.