46. Hogwarts again

A/N I've lifted part of the idea for this 'moment' (re. Snape) from another story I've written called 'Letters'.

(1002 words)

Harry met Headmistress McGonagall on the Hogwarts front steps.

'Harry,' she greeted, shaking his hand firmly. 'And please call me Minerva.'

It was a bit odd to call her that but Harry swallowed and said, 'hello, Minerva. It's a pleasure to see you again.'

She scanned over his clothing, 'Auror uniform?'

'Just for tonight, seeing as I'm representing the DMLE...'

'Yes, I see.'

She led him through the school to his quarters for the week.

'Did you bring your broom?'

'Yes,' he smiled and patted his pocket where everything was reduced. 'Has Madame Hooch really requested my help with the Quidditch Club?'

'Yes,' Minerva smiled too.

'Draco and Ron will be jealous.'

'Indeed. And how is Mr Malfoy?' she raised a quizzical eyebrow at Harry which he didn't altogether trust.

'He's well,' he answered guardedly.

'Narcissa mentioned you'd both been out to visit...'

Harry thanked his Auror training as he suppressed any reaction. 'Yes, it was a lovely weekend away.'

'Indeed,' Minerva said, and Harry was entirely sure her lips were quirking with stifled amusement. 'Here we are.' She stopped in front of a door near the DADA classroom with a portrait of Severus Snape hanging next to it.

'Severus,' Harry said politely and with a slight nod of greeting.

Snape's painted black irises roved over Harry before he sneered and said, 'Potter.'

'The password is Grindylow,' Minerva said, her hazel eyes twinkling.

'Gringwart Goff might have been more suitable,' Harry muttered as the door swung open to reveal a small but comfortable sitting room with two doors off it.

'I resent that, Potter,' hissed Snape.

'Love ya really,' smirked Harry and he blew Snape a kiss because, really, what could the portrait do to him. Snape turned his back and stomped off, his cape billowing behind him. Harry couldn't help the bark of laughter which escaped. Snape turned around and glared him.

'There's a bedroom and bathroom,' Minerva said, through tight lips. 'I'll leave you to settle in. Professor Emerett Tofty is probably in his office and would like to discuss next week's teaching when you're ready. Dinner is, as you know, always at 7pm. You know your way around. I shall see you later.' Her eyes sparkled in amusement as she said, 'and please, be nice to Severus.'

'Thank you, Minerva. I'll see you later in the Great Hall.'

It was very strange to be at Hogwarts as a member of staff, albeit only for a week as a Visiting Lecturer. He'd been asked to come and teach some of the more specialist subjects and the Ministry restricted Unforgiveables. Emerett would be sitting in on all his classes, which was slightly intimidating, but he remembered the professor well enough from year eight and he was an amiable enough chap.

In fact, the teaching was more straight forward than he imagined, mostly because he was dealing with year fives and sevens in the lead up to their O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s. On the most part, they were very studious and once he made it clear he wasn't going to discuss the war or his personal life and he wasn't going to tolerate any sort of hero worship, things settled down quickly.

He enjoyed helping out with the Quidditch Club too, though Rolanda muttered that attendance was higher than it had been all year.

The most fun, surprisingly, was Severus.

He regularly haunted the paintings in Harry's sitting room.

'What on earth is that supposed to be?' he sneered when Valpus arrived the first night.

The little owl raised an eyebrow and gave Severus a withering scowl that was worthy of the Malfoy bloodline. 'Has Draco been teaching you that look? It's very impressive,' Harry said as he petted Valpus and totally ignored Severus's question.

Valpus preened.

'My godson?' Severus couldn't help himself.

'Didn't you know, Sev? We live together, we're lovers.'

Severus stormed off to his portrait in the headmistress's office and Harry got a half-hearted reprimand at dinner that night.

Severus refused to let Harry in his room later, but Harry smirked, ran a hand over the door, and wordlessly and wandlessly broke the ward.

'How did you do that?' Severus demanded from a painting of a large vase of sunflowers. He sneezed and Harry smiled wickedly.

Severus started hanging around in the DADA classroom paintings too, so Harry cast a silent spell that smoked out the paintings so he couldn't see what Harry was teaching.

'Professor Potter, sir, what was that spell?' one of the fifth years piped up.

'Never you mind, Hodges,' he answered. 'Instead, you can come to the front and deal with the Boggart first.'

'What was that spell?' Severus asked later.

'Instant Darkness spell,' Harry replied. 'Adapted from Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder.'

'Surprisingly clever, Potter.'

Valpus arrived with another letter from Draco, who was bored and missing him.

'Is that from Draco, how is he, did you mention me, does he say anything of interest?' Severus asked.

'Yes, it's from Draco; he's fine but missing me; no, I didn't mention you; and yes, it's very interesting. Mostly because it's about giving me a blowjob when I get back,' Harry lied with a wicked gleam in his eye.

Severus actually paled, despite the permanent representation of his sallow skin and he stormed off to Minerva's office again. Harry got another half-hearted reprimand.

It was so very easy to wind him up and it seemed Severus couldn't resist coming back for more.

'Have you got a spare portrait?' Harry teased. 'I'd quite like to take you home as a new pet.'

Severus stormed off again.

Harry decided to take the Hogwarts Express home, for the sake of reminiscing. There were a few passengers from Hogsmeade but it was quiet and peaceful and Harry found it pleasant after a tiring week.

Draco met him on Platform 9 ¾ and they hugged ferociously.

'Merlin, I've missed you,' Harry said.

'I want you home, now!' Draco said, his grey eyes blown with lust.

Harry wished he'd simply Apparated straight to their bedroom.

*****