Epilogue

Three years ago, on a Friday night, the movie ends...

Loud pop music blared through the living room.

I reached for the remote and turned off the sound. But it didn't turn off the rain falling on the earth's surface.

"Do you want more tea?" I asked, even though I didn't want to get up.

Getting up meant leaving the comfortable warmth of the blanket draped over our legs.

"No," Grayson answered. "I think I need to go."

"You don't need to," I said quickly.

He looked down at his hands, and smiled.

Outside, the wind howled. Inside, on the TV, the movies' bloopers played. Grayson watched them for a few, silent seconds, then moved to his feet, the blanket falling off of us both.

"I wonder if that ever happens in real life," he said.

"Getting hired by a kid to date a girl so he can date her sister?"

"Nah. Happy endings."

For someone who watched something end today, it wasn't a weird question to ask.

"Sure," I said. "It's not impossible."

"You really believe that?"

I believed in science. But I also believed in Grayson's determination.

"I believe you'll get through this," I said. "And that you're going to get the happy ending you want. With cheesy pop songs and all."

He smiled. "Great. They were the best part of the movie."

The best part of the evening definitely wasn't watching Grayson put on his wet shoes, or hold his wet clothes in his hands.

"I should get you a bag," I said.

For some reason, it felt like I was stalling.

For some reason, I felt like saying, why don't you just stay the night? We can watch more cheesy teen movies.

"No, that's-"

"It'll only take a second!"

It did.

Stuffed in a crate in the hallway were at least a dozen bags. We had a bit of a plastic bag problem at the Goff house.

I grabbed one, took Grayson's wet clothes from him and stuffed them in the bag.

"There," I said.

"Thanks." He looked down at his sweater. At my sweater. "Um... I can wash this, and give it back tomorrow."

"Oh, don't worry. I don't need it back."

He seemed to hesitate. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. It fits you better."

His hand tightened around the plastic bag. It crinkled loudly.

"Alright," he said eventually.

When I opened the door, the cold and the rain assaulted our faces and ears.

I shivered, but Grayson didn't. He just stepped outside like it wasn't nearly storming.

I watched him. For a second, I was afraid Grayson would walk away without looking back, because if he didn't look back, it would feel like this strange evening had never happened.

But he did.

He looked back and cracked a lopsided smile. "This was fun, M. Thanks."

THE END

A/N:

And there you have it, folks! MONTY & GRAYSON has finally come to an end! This short story has been deep in my archives for a very, VERY long time but I haven't got the time and memory to actually finish it, but now that I finally did, I feel really happy and quite relieved lol

Anyway, thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it ❤

P.S. Go check out my other stories as well!