XLVI

"Frank," Leo called, giving him that same knowing look. "They called again."

Frank had been working in the Garage when Leo came in. Sighing, he pulled Leo off to the side, glancing at the curious gaze Drake gave them. 

"The same thing?" Frank asked, his voice low.

Leo nodded. "How long are you going to ignore their message? We have to respond."

"I told them until Charlie has recovered, we will not appear before them," Frank grumbled. 

"Well, what's her condition?" Leo asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "Frank, the forefathers helped you and Charlie, they saved your lives. You have to respond to their call and appear before them."

"They're gonna try and take the title of President from me," Frank finally told him, Leo's eyes widening, his arms falling to his sides. 

"All the more reason why you both need to appear!" Leo whispered, glancing at Drake and back at Frank.

"Once Charlie can fuckin' walk we'll go," Frank snapped. "I know the importance of this, you don't need to tell me. I'm not avoiding it, I gave them a heads up."

"Based on the message they gave just now, they ain't too happy," Leo pointed out.

"Who isn't happy?" Both Leo and Frank turned to find Charlie standing behind them, arms crossed over her chest. The scars from her torment were bright pink and on full display with her tank top on, the scar on her thigh hidden behind her jeans. 

"Damn, look at you!" Drake called, rushing over to hug Charlie happily. "You're good as new!"

Charlie laughed as well, hugging him back. Drake pulled away from her, smiling sheepishly at the death glare he received from Frank. 

"Lookin' good for someone who was tortured," Leo commented.

Charlie scoffed. "What's the problem now?" she asked, her gaze pointed towards Frank.

"The Forefathers," he said.

"The what?"

Leo slapped Frank on the shoulder, chuckling and shaking his head. "I'll leave that to you, Frank." Leo walked away, leaving Frank to face the wrath of Charlie.

"What the hell is going on?" Charlie asked.

"A lot of shit," Frank said. "You been down for a while and ya didn't even know what happened when we were rescued."

"Then, explain it."

"So now, you're saying, the Forefathers need you and I to appear so they can try and take the title of President from you?" she asked, Frank nodding. "So, this is a trial." He nodded again. "The whole club should be present, not just you and I. The Forefathers only know what's happened recently, of course they think you're incompetent. The club should be there to stand up for you."

"They will be," Frank said. "They won't take this title from me, not after their asses elected Fury as President."

Charlie laughed and Frank forgot how much he missed listening to that sound. "When do we have to appear before them, then?"

"Can you walk?"

"As good as the next guy."

"Then we'll go now," he said. "Get yourself ready," he called to Drake, watching as he nodded and headed into the clubhouse. 

"Whoa, hold on, right now?" Charlie questioned, grabbing his arm. 

"Don't worry," he said, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards him, her face flushing. He lowered his masked face to her ear. "It won't take long."

"Hey, what the hell are you getting at?" she said, looking him in the eye. 

He said nothing for he knew she knew what he meant. "Get yourself ready," he said, lifting his mask to kiss her long and hard, leaving her breathless and weak in the knees as he headed into the clubhouse. 

"Cobra, Atom, Leo, Ryan, Drake," Frank called, grabbing those few's attention. "Get yourselves ready, we're riding to the Haven," they nodded and immediately moved. "The rest of you stay put, don't let your guard down, not anymore."

The rest nodded and Frank went back to the Garage, grabbing his cut and his keys. He watched as Charlie came down the stairs, slowly, now wearing an old t-shirt instead of his jeans and a pair of busted vans on her feet. 

"There's no way I can ride on the back of your bike," she said. "Not with this leg."

"I already got the keys," he said, nodding his head in the direction of Fury's mustang Charlie had used before. 

She loaded herself in the passenger seat, the two of them sitting in silence as he roared the engine to life. "Aren't you worried?"

"No," he said with no hesitation. "They will not take away the club from me. This all started because of their stupid laws anyway, Fury should've never been President."

She chuckled lightly. "It's amazing how much you've changed," she said, looking at him with so much happiness and pride in her eyes. 

"I suppose it's your fault," he joked, causing her to laugh again. "If you had never showed up here Fury would've successfully killed me and taken the club."

Before he could put the car into drive, she leaned over and lifted his mask up, kissing him so gently. It was a kiss that explicitly told him how much she cared for him, how much she loved him, and it left him utterly breathless and speechless afterwards.

"Let's hurry up and get this done with," she said, looking him in the eye. "I want to be alone with you when we get back."

And that was enough for him to reverse out of the garage and speed down the road, his brothers following close behind. He was ready to fight for this club and for his brothers, as he always been. The forefathers weren't going to stop him.

No one was.

Stay safe, I love you all! Please continue to vote and comment, I'm going to keep updates coming more regularly now :)

With care,
D. M. Brightwell