Rules

"Sir? Sir, please wake up. Excuse me sir, but we have much to do. Sir?" 

Keefe groaned as voices woke him from his sleep. He blinked and rolled over, confused by the dark tile ceiling. Slowly everything came back to him. The selection, the plane ride, stumbling into his room exhausted. Keefe took in his surroundings for the first time without his eyes half closed.

The walls were dark brown with a matching tiled ceiling and king sized bed. The comforter was a lovely cream shade, along with the pillows. It was incredible. Keefe looked to his side, to find two nightstands, a closet, shelving unit, and seating area. Finally he looked toward the door, and two younger boys awkwardly standing in its frame.

"Who are you?" Keefe questioned.

"We're your attendants sir. I'm Soir and this is Krikor. We're supposed to get you situated, explain the rules, and help you with anything else you might need."

"Uhh...okay. Give me one second." 

Keefe scurried into the bath chamber. Inside he found more dark walls, a huge bathing tub, toilet, sink, and several other polished features. Quickly he walked over to the sink and splashed water on his face. Blinking rapidly he then looked up in the mirror. Keefe lifted his hand to run it through his hair, watching it snap back into place. Finally satisfied, Keefe walked out into his room.

The two boys were still awkwardly standing in the doorway.

"Well come in, don't just stand there." Keefe called.

"Yes sir." they both muttered.

"Take a seat if you want." 

"We're uh, not allowed to sir." Krikor stuttered. 

"Oh please, of course you can. If anyone fusses about it just say I told you it was okay."

"Thank you very much sir." Sior responded.

"Lets stop with all the sir business too. Just call me Keefe."

"If you wish it si...Keefe."

"Great, so are you guys supposed to tell me all the boring stuff?" Keefe asked.

"Yes, the rules."

"Yeah, those."

"So there are castle rules, etiquette rules, and selection rules you'll have to follow during your stay." Sior began. "The main castle rules include, but are not limited to the following. Obviously you are not to ignore royal summons, always answer when called by the royalty. Respect the palace and its residents. This also means no climbing, running, or jumping on furniture. Save that for outdoor activities, tournaments, rides, and games. No yelling. Report suspicious or treasonous conversation to the head steward. Attend required events. Etc."

"Okay, that's all pretty straightforward." Keefe said.

"Yes, now the etiquette." Krikor picked up. "The basics are table and conversation mannerisms. As a selected, you'll attend classes to help you with dance, table, and speaking manners. We'll make sure you get to those on time, so you needn't worry. Speak to important guests in calm, controlled sentences. Always bow to a lady. Those are the most important parts. You'll have a set of things to do as a selected too. Sior's better at explaining that part." Krikor finishes.

Sior began again, "As a selected, it is expected that you will not get along with all the men. We ask that you refrain from brawling until out in the tourney field. For the safety of the interior and bystanders. Do not interact with the royals until your official meeting tomorrow evening. I believe it was previously stated that you are to attend all the required events and classes. There will be some mingling occasions that you are invited to, but if you don't wish to go it will not be forced. Don't go into the east wing unless your presence is requested by a royalty. There will be consequences if any of the major rules are broken. I am not aware of what these are, such knowledge is above our pay grade. I think that's all."

"That's quite a few." Keefe chuckled nervously. Rules weren't really his thing.

"It is, but the etiquette will be learned and you won't be alone. I'm sure this is new to at least some of the others as well." Krikor replied.

"Sure..." 

"And on that note," Sior cut in "You have about a half an hour before you have dinner with the other selected in the dining hall. You best get ready. The tailor finished up a few starting outfits. Tonight's dinner will be a casual/formal setting. I recommend dark jeans with a button up shirt. That seems more your style that the full suits some will be wearing."

"I guess so."

"Alright, I left it in your closet. We'll be back to make sure you did it right in twenty."

"Gee thanks."

Kikor grinned and Sior nodded. Then they turned and the door closed with a click. 

Keefe inhailed slowly. This was the first time all the selected would all be together. Actually converse. Make alliances. Scope out the competition. It was kind of a big deal. 

He pulled out the only clothing in the closet. A dark blue button up, jeans, and a grey tie. On the floor lay a pair of brown shoes. Keefe moved into the bathroom and shucked his shirt off. 

He came out fifteen minutes later. Shined shoes and a shirt that stretched across his chest. He looked...nice. Clearly, Sior and Kikor agreed when the smiled at him five minutes later.

"It's not bad." Sior grinned.

"Are you ready?" Kikor asked.

Keefe nodded, "Yeah, I think I am."