three || not a trace

Harry

I woke up early the next morning, as I always do when I have a big day ahead of me. Throughout my years of working for Whit, I managed to acquire quite a large sum of money. I saved a lot of it, I had never been one to be flashy with how much I have, unlike Whit, who did showy things like buying Rolexes, and driving his matte grey Mercedes-AMG GT R Roadster, equipped with all of the extra options, like carbon fiber mirrors and the night package, replacing all of the chrome accents with a matte black. I will admit, I have always wanted to drive that car, but I don't think I'd ever be flashy enough to buy one for myself. 

   I did, however, buy myself a flat. It was pretty nice, especially for someone my age, but then again, not most people my age have my occupation. I didn't really consider my flat my home, since I spent more time at the Fort than I did here, but I did enjoy it. It was one of the only places I felt I could almost fully relax...almost. I never quite let myself get comfortable, in any aspect of life, as I learned the hard way, everything can change without a moment's notice.

     It was decorated a little I suppose. Not as cold and controlled as the Fort was, it was warmer, homier. I didn't quite like the harsh decor of the Fort, although I'd never tell Whit that, as it was like his child, he was so proud of his designs for the place.

     I stretched out my limbs in my bed, groaning as different joints popped and cracked, before swinging my legs over the side of the bed, sighing, and standing up. I went from my bedroom downstairs to my kitchen, fixing myself some eggs and toast, and pouring myself a large mug of hot coffee. 

    I sat in silence, while I ate, not yet feeling fully awake. After cleaning and putting away the dishes, which I always had to do right after I ate, I never understood people who could just leave food covered dishes in the sink, I went back upstairs to take a shower. 

   I cranked up the heat almost all the way, leaning my head against the shower wall, letting the water pour over me in a lazy heat, before washing my hair and my body. I don't know how long I stood in there, I had always been a fan of long showers, although my water bill wasn't. Whit bought fancy cars and nice watches, and I coughed up the extra money each month in order to maintain my ridiculously long shower habit. To each their own I suppose.

     After I showered, I decided to watch whatever idiotic movie was playing on the TV, but I wasn't really watching it. I was zoned out, focused on my mission for tonight, and eagerly awaiting a text from Abel, to tell me that he had found the location. I had full confidence that he would, he always did. I always admired his abilities, he was so smart and advanced for someone his age. Just like Whit, if you didn't know him, you'd think he was just a sweet, nerdy teenage boy, who liked to mess around on computers, not the infamous hacker and genius that he was. He was a good kid though, as good as you can be I suppose, when you're in the same field as me. I always thought of him as a little brother, and I think he thought of me in a brotherly way as well.

    It was as though he knew I was thinking about him, because only a few minutes later, I saw his name light up my phone. I sat up straight and opened my phone quickly, excited for what he had to say.

   A smile spread across my face as I stared down at the illuminated screen, finally seeing the words that I had been waiting for all day. 

Abel: "Come down to the Fort mate, I got it. It's showtime."

*****

      After being given my usual hard time by Ralph when I arrived at the Fort, I went straight to work, preparing for my eventful evening. Making my way over to the weapons station, I grabbed a couple of magazines and pistols, stuffing them in the same duffel bag that I left home with six years ago.