Chapter 6: Keep This Bird Flying

3rd Person POV

"Hill!" Fury called out into his communicator from beside you, wanting to know what the hell just happened, same as everyone else including you.

"External detonation. Number 3 engine is down." Maria responded before checking the engine's status with a few other agents. You gave him a questioning look and he repeated the statement to you.

"How does an engine just 'go down'?" You questioned, looking at Fury with a confused face. You weren't exactly sure what your move was just yet, but your best bet was to either follow Tony and Steve or go down to the bridge.

"Somebody's got to get outside and patch that engine." Hill added over the comms.

Fury turned to you after hearing the statement through the communicator. "You think you can do that, kid?" He asked, looking at you with an almost approving expression.

"Do what? I don't have a communicator like you guys. Said you have to be 21+ to own one." You said in a joking voice. It was a good question though; why hadn't they given you a communicator yet?

Fury put a hand in his pocket, taking an item and holding it out to you. "Here." He said, passing the extra communicator to you, which you placed on your ear. "Stark, you need to get that engine running again. L/N will be over to help, too." He said, pressing his comms.

"On it." Tony responded.

You immediately blinked out onto the top of the Helicarrier, noticing a squad of people exiting a quinjet but you decided it wasn't an issue for now. You looked around to to figure out which direction the engine was, then blinked over to it, standing just a few meters away from a smoke cloud created by a fire.

"Hey, Permanent Starker, I'm here." You said. It was hard to see very well because of the smoke, but you put up with it.

"Alright. Let's see what we've got, Princess." He responded, flying around towards the side of the engine.

"Stark, I'm here too." Cap said, walking out along a metal walkway, leading to the now open part of the Helicarrier next to the engine. Great, ice block is back to help. You thought.

Tony began scanning the engine to figure out the issue, finding lodged debris in the turbine. He moved a piece of metal before turning to Steve. "I need you go get to that control panel and tell me which relays are in overload position." He said before flying a little further across and making his way into the engine. "Kid, I need you to clear the debris in the turbine, can you do that?" He called to you.

"I can give it a shot." You responded, turning to it eyes to the turbine and blinking into the air above it and spotting the debris. You let gravity do the rest, falling and kicking the debris down and away before blinking on top of one of the rotors.

You looked to your side, seeing Tony blast his way through a wall and into the engine, same as you.

"Okay, the relays are intact. What's our next move?" Steve asked.

"Even with the rotors cleared this thing won't re-engage without a jump." Tony stated, looking over at you on top of the rotor. "Kid, we're gonna have to push this thing." He said, eliciting a nod from you.

Steve immediately got back on his comms. "Are you crazy? If that thing reaches speed, you'll both be shredded." He said in a worried tone. You weren't sure if he was worried about you, Tony or both.

"See that red lever?" Tony asked, causing Steve to look around the area until he found it. "It will slow the rotors down long enough for us to escape. Stand by it and wait for my call." He finished.