34

Chika and Ebere walked into the house just as Michael was coming downstairs. He paused at the foot of the stairs and looked at the two of them.

"Good morning sir." Chika greeted.

"Good morning Chika. How have you been?"

"Very fine sir." The help replied and took a step aside.

"Ebere, how are you?" Michael asked and Ebere just nodded slightly.

"Go to your room, we'll talk later." Michael said and left them and made for the kitchen while the two friends went upstairs.

They got to Ebere's room and silence rained heavily between them.

"Why are you quiet Chika? You're not one to keep quiet. It's making me uncomfortable." Ebere whined.

"This house doesn't feel like home anymore. I wish things had turned out differently." Chika replied, sitting on the bed.

"I took part in making things turn out bad. I even feel that guilt was what made me leave without a fight. I don't think I can stay here Chika. It holds a lot of memories and how I betrayed someone who was so good to me.' Ebere said with remorse.

"No. You'll stay here and birth this child, but you just have to talk with Mr Michael first. Two of you need to define what you have so that you don't end up making another mess. You're a woman, not a baby." Chika advised.

"Alright. Thank you Chika."

"Thank me with food. Come let's go and make breakfast before I leave."

"Yes, her royal majesty of the food kingdom." Ebere said with mocked courtesy and they laughed heartily before going downstairs.

***********

Claire came out from the shower and went into her walk-in closet, trying to pick out what to wear to her plaza. She was interrupted by the ringing of her phone, Phil.

"Hello Phil. Good morning." She greeted.

"Good morning darling, hope you slept well?"

"Couldn't get any sleep. What's up?" Claire answered, holding the urge to tell him the recent development.

"Same here. Okay, I was wondering if you could come by the house and pick the rest of the things here or should I bring them?"

"I have plans for today so just send it instead. My helps will be here to take them."

"Urm, okay, whatever you say then. Do have a nice day." Phil answered, clearly disappointed.

"You too Phil." Claire terminated the call and continued with her previous task.

**********

Chika and Ebere ate amidst chatter. Michael had gone out before they could finish cooking but he promised Ebere he would be back shortly.

"So the two helps are nice huh?" Chika asked.

"Very nice. One of them had asked me not to leave the house. They make me happy and I can't ask for anything else than having them here."

"Maybe Mr Michael gave them a bream with all the drama going on. They'll be back soon or you talk to him about them.'

Ebere was about replying when the door opened and Amara walked in. She paused upon seeing the two girls who went back to eating like she wasn't even there.

She also ignored them and went upstairs.
Chika stared at Ebere who was looking tense.

"She's not going to do anything to you. I won't leave until Mr Michael comes back okay?"

Ebere nodded and held her friend's hands.
"Thank you Chika. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have you as my friend."

"Eh, you'll probably be able to do nothing I'm very sure." Chika teased and they laughed.

*************

Michael didn't have to wait for long before Kelvin walked into the bar. He had given him a call, demanding they should meet at the bar and talk. Kelvin ordered two glasses of whiskey which the bartender was more than happy to give them.
The two friends downed the drink in one gulp and demanded for a refill.

"So you were crushing and fantasizing about my wife?" Michael started.

"Is that the definition you want to give it?"

Michael chuckled, taking a sip of the hot liquid.

"Look man, you've known how my relationship with Claire started and how i respect her. I can never see Claire as a sex tool. Believe me, I don't even know how that sounds but I've never thought about Claire being my object of satisfaction."

"Let's say I get your point, cause I know Claire is a sweet creature that anyone around her will always see her as a saint, but, explain your relationship with Amara. If you were screwing her, why didn't you tell me? I mean, if you had told me, I wouldn't have continued with her."

"Amara was and still remains a mistake I'll regret for the rest of my life. I was drunk and found my way to her room, then maybe I thought she was a sex worker and I had my way with her. She woke up to bruises and when Claire said she'd get her boyfriend arrested for beating her up, Amara decided to use it and blackmail me. I couldn't watch another guy go down for a crime I know I committed." Kelvin explained.

"I don't get."

"She said she'd allow the guy get arrested if I don't go with her to a hotel to finish what we started the night before. I knew I had given her those bruises so............. "

"You chose to fuck her so the guy doesn't get arrested. And after that?" Michael interrupted.

"Nothing ever happened again. The next thing I know, both of you started your thing."

"That conniving bitch. The baby could belong to one of us, you know that right?" Michael asked.

"I don't know man. I never thought about it."

"With that being said, I'll leave now. Ebere is back to the house so I need to get to her before Amara comes back and tries something funny. She's the one I know carrying my child and I wouldn't wanna joke with it."

"It's fine. Just be good." Kelvin said

"I will."
And with a pat on Kelvin's back, Michael left the bar.

*******

Claire got home very late and was surprised to see Chantal at her living room.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.

"What's that joke? I've not seen you since the party and you're asking me what I'm doing here?" Chantal answered, quite surprised at Claire's reaction.

"What are you doing here?" Claire asked again.

"What's wrong with you? Claire.............. "

"What the fuck are you doing here Chantal?"

"Wo! Calm down. Phil asked me to help drop the rest of your presents and cake. What is wrong with you?" The confused Chantal asked.

"You've dropped them right? Now get out."

"At this time? You must be drunk Claire. What is going on? Tell me what the problem is."

"You are the problem here. Or you think I do not know you joined the league of  loose women who slept with my husband?'

"Seriously? Are you being serious right now? You're my friend so why will I break the girl code?"

"Same way my sister did. Chantal, please leave my house."

"Of course I will leave but that will be after I have said my bit. I never slept with your slut of a husband. He wanted me, since the very first day I went there to get your house address. I played along to hurt Amara and I only invited him to your party so he could see how happy you can be without him. Now my dear friend, not every woman is like your sister who betrayed you. Your presents are in your room while the cake is in the freezer. Be good."

And without another word, Chantal left the house.