|29|

It was late.

Too damn late for my taste, but here I was anyway, sitting in the dark with my feet kicked up on the dash of my control board. I've been sitting in the cockpit with the lights off for the past two hours, just watching the stars as I fly on autopilot through the empty galaxy. My mind had been buzzing for hours on end and I couldn't find it in me to keep my damn eyes shut.

And it's not like I could try and annoy Mando as a way to exert my energy since he had already gone to bed a few hours ago. It was four in the morning, which means I have a good three or so hours before Mando gets up and starts doing Lord knows what. I already have a feeling that I'm going to be losing my mind in these few hours without him.

I guess I could just use this time to evaluate what's happened in this shit show that I have to call my life.

My comm system suddenly beeps, making my perk my head up. I look over to it to see the bright blue light that was flashing, signaling that I had a message. I stare at it for a few moments, letting the light flash through the dark cockpit. I sigh and then drop my feet down to the floor, leaning forward to press one of the buttons on the little machine.

A blue full-body hologram of an old friend pops up and my eyes instantly widen at the sight of her. My jaw drops a bit and I lean forward a little more, my eyes locked onto the woman in front of me.

Adrienne Calypso.

She was an old friend of mine if I could even call her that. I don't really know exactly what our relationship came down to, but regardless of what we thought we were, it was a good time. I used to play as her little personal bodyguard for all the parties she hosted and attended. Then during our after-party hours... I guess we became more than just friends.

That's not the important part of this though.

"Mae! If you're getting this message, it means that you're in perfect range of your old home. Which is a good thing because I need to ask for a little favor from you, and you know how I feel about asking for things," she says, a small smirk playing on her face. I swallow hard, knowing that her favors were always somehow party related. "Remember how you used to play as my little escort at all of those parties? Well, I'm in the mood for my special friend to accompany me again. Let me know if you can make it, but I have a feeling that I already know what your answer is going to be."

"Oh shit," I mutter under my breath, biting my bottom lip as I watched her graze her own thumb against her bottom lip.

"See you in two days, lovely," she says, winking at me before cutting the message off. I swallow hard and lean back in my seat as the hologram disappears completely, making the cockpit fall dark again. I release my bottom lip and tilt my head back, going back to watching the stars pass by.

My mind starts to scramble even more so I close my eyes, trying to recognize my thoughts. Old memories start to play in my mind. All the parties I had gone to, the dresses she had put me in, all the nights I had spent with her. It's really not something that I should be thinking about, but after that damn message from her...

Two days to get to Canto Bight. I think that's perfectly doable for us right now. All I have to do now is convince Mando to let us steer off a bit and go to Canto Bight for a day or two. That shouldn't be too hard, right? I mean, I could totally convince him that landing in a huge city that holds some of the most dangerous rich assholes in the galaxy that all know me as an ex-Imperial princess that followed Adrienne around like she had nothing better to do.

Oh, and then convince him that it would be okay to bring the kid along. Oh yeah, I'm sure it's going to be so easy to convince him to let us go.