Chapter 7: Paige

"Bye guys! I'll see you tomorrow." I said to the children. They pouted and begged me to stay. I laughed and promised to bring extra cookies tomorrow. They agreed and after several hugs, I was able to leave. I was heading back home when I felt Alpha's anger throughout the mind link. My wolf howled and tried to convince me to find him. But I ignored her. Instead, I quickly made my way back to the meadow where I knew the children were. Something was wrong and I felt it. Soon, my thoughts are confirmed by Ryder.

Warriors! Get out to the borders! Everyone else get to the safe house, now! Once you reach the packhouse, do not leave! The Alpha mind links the pack. I grabbed their hand and say, "We need to get out of here." I run into the safe house and mind link their parents. Little Caleb tugs my hand and says, "Lindsey's not here." I close the doors of the safe house. I run back into the meadow. I hear Lindsey's cries and I dash into the woods. I find her sitting on the forest floor. Her hair is a mess and she flings herself onto me. She clings to my leg. "Age!" She says, with relief. I wipe her tears away and I hush her as I run back to the safe house. Amelie takes Lindsey from me. "Paige, your mother. I think she's still out there. We haven't seen her, yet." My heart sinks and I run out. I dash to my house. "MOM!" I yell as I stepped into the house. The house is empty and her scent is faint. I run to the packhouse which is also deserted.

Where could she be?! I run blindly through the land to look for her. Then it hits me. I run towards Dad's gravestone. It begins to rain as I run past the other wolves. Dr. Jones grabs my arm. "Where are you going!!" He says I break away from him. I leave him and run away. That's when I see a small silhouette of a woman kneeling near a gravestone. "MOM!" I yelled. She looks up and I see her eyes are puffy from crying. I reach out to touch her but she turns her back to me.

"YOU LIED!!!!" She screams as I grab her wrist. She looks at me with hatred in her eyes. I drag her away from the grave. "RAY IS GONE!!!!" She screams and I try to keep her quiet but I cannot. She keeps shouting his name and I fumble through the pockets of my jacket. I find the sedative that Dr. Jones gave me for emergencies. I pull my mother close to me to inject her with a sedative. She pushes me away. "LEAVE ME ALONE!" She screams. She claws my arms and runs away from me. She trips and falls over. "DON'T YOU DARE!!!!" She screams as I hold her down.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Mom." I whispered as I inject the sedative. I wipe my tears away and hold her in my arms. She goes limp in my arms. I lift her and try to make my way towards the safehouse. She feels heavy in my arms but I stumble to the ground. I quickly get up and pick up my mother. I was close to the safe house. Amelie senses me and opens the door. She has fear in her eyes as she waits for me. She gives me an urgent look. She tries to help me but the Alpha commanded everyone who was in the safe house to stay. She cannot disobey the Alpha command. I drag my mother's limp body towards. My legs are as heavy as stone but I needed to make it.

That's when I hear the sound of a twig breaking. The sound of approaching footsteps. I was risking the lives of wolves in the safe house. SHUT THE DOOR. I mind linked Amelie. She protests but I demand her to. She obeys and the doors close. I smell the air and I know a rogue is nearby. I yank open a storage shed and using my remaining energy, I place her inside. I tightly close the shed door. The smell of rotten flesh hits my nose and I hear a low growl. Shit. I start running away from the shed and the safe house. I hear footsteps behind me. I reach a dead end and I turn to see a large wolf with red eyes. It shifts and becomes a man with a crazed look in his eyes.

"Where the fuck do you think you're going, honey?" He sneers. I am frozen with fear as he takes a step closer. I slowly take a step backward. I jump as my back hits against the wall. "You're one pretty bitch, aren't you?" He says, looking me up and down. Sweat runs down my back and I am trembling. He roughly grabs my hair and I hold back a scream. He laughs at my terrified expression. I hear a howl and we turn to see Ryder's black wolf. The rogue grins. "Well, time's up. Say bye-bye, girlie." He declares, pulling out a silver knife. I hold my breath as he places it against my neck.

"Such a shame." He says, raising the knife to strike. I close my eyes but I feel nothing. I open them to see the knife stuck in Ryder's wolf. Ryder growls and rips off the rogue's head. Ryder shifts back and he collapses on the floor. I place his head on my lap as I tried to stop the blood. "HELP ME PLEASE!!!!" I scream and I mind link, Dr. Jones. Ryder takes my hand and weakly gazes into my eyes. Dr. Jones runs towards us. "PLEASE STAY AWAKE!" I plead with him, tears run down my face. He gives me a weak smile and wipes my tears away. 

He closes his eyes and goes limp in my arms.