Chapter 7

Draco woke up with a feeling of disgust in his heart. He had tried to forget about Rosie whilst with Pansy, but he didn't stop thinking about her the entire time. Hooking up with Pansy had always been convenient...dark dorm, late at night, if he ever just needed the sex without the intimacy of company. But this last time hadn't felt the same. He just wanted it to be over before it had even really begun. He didn't even feel sorry for Pansy, he knew she'd find another guy to leach onto...perhaps Crabbe or Goyle was more her level.

The guilt was new to him too. He felt as though he was being disloyal to Rosie, and he could almost see her brown eyes fill up with disappointment if she ever found out. Yet another reason to get rid of her quickly. Regret and guilt were two emotions he never thought he'd feel following sex. It was all Rosie's fault.

Creeping out of his bed, he pulled on his black dressing gown and his slippers and made his way out of the Slytherin common room. The castle was still asleep, and the sun was just beginning to break over the horizon. He enjoyed the calm stillness of dawn, and often walked alone with nothing but his thoughts to accompany him. Draco headed for the astronomy tower, his favourite place to go when he couldn't sleep. He enjoyed looking down at the valleys below, the small trees that resembled tiny figurines and the lake that glowed like a pool of molten gold. As the sun rose, light fragmented through the mountains and the lake glimmered, ripples reflecting like thousands of sparkling diamonds.

Draco watched patiently as the scenery before him came to life, as the emerging sun floated upwards slowly. This was his favourite part of the day. It always proved to him that no matter how dark things seemed, they would always get better. He had been waiting for his dawn his whole life, but he knew someday it would come. And it would feel just like this.

His face was relaxed, hands loosely clutching the railing of the tower as he leaned over, a cold breeze caressing his face. This was another part of him he kept hidden, his sensitivity and as he soaked in the beauty of the nature, he had never felt more himself. Up there, Draco didn't have to play a part, he didn't have to protect himself. He was just present.

Draco thought about his mother. She would like it up here. He wished she was with him, so she could just hold him like when he was smaller, but he knew those days were way past him. He needed to be the adult now. The Death Eaters were his future...his legacy, and he couldn't let his family down. Gone were the days where he had a choice. Now, it was join or die. Or his family would be shamed by Voldemort and left with nothing. His mother was counting on him. His father expected nothing less.

His mind shifted to Rosie. Poor little Hufflepuff girl. All he wanted was her but he knew she'd just be temporary...soon he'd no longer be at this school and she'd have to be left behind, just like everything else. If only she knew.

The sun had fully risen now, and Draco reluctantly made his way down the spiral staircase. Down, and back to reality.

The corridors were bustling with students going to and from classes when Draco returned. He pushed his way through the loud crowds, curling his lip with irritation. It was a drastic contrast to how empty and quiet the halls were at night, and he wished it could be like that all the time. Just him and Rosie. Alone.

He caught sight of her sitting on a bench in the courtyard with some Hufflepuff friends, and jealousy prickled him. Why was it she was always laughing with them and never with him? A boy put his hand on her shoulder as he listened intently to what she was saying. Did she not realise that those boys were all over her? They were all fake, all of them, Draco decided. Surely none of them had pure intentions when it came to her.

His hands curled into fists as he watched her. He despised that the sight of her with anyone else made him sick with jealousy.

Rosie had slept badly that night, images of Cedric's concerned face were etched into her mind. And images of Draco's demanding, sensual eyes were too. She was excited however, finally deciding that she was going to ask Draco on a date. Ballsy move, considering his 'no dating' reputation, but she felt as though they needed more of a connection for their future actions to be justified. She wanted more from him.