Chapter 20-The Ride to Minas Tirith (Edited)

Salandiel awoke the next morning with a splitting pain in her head and a fuzzy feeling on her tongue. She groaned as she felt the sick rising in her throat.

"Hobbits," she grumbled to herself, remembering how much she had drunk the night before.

Suddenly she let out a gasp and sat up in bed but the movement was too quick and she put a hand to her head to try and stop the throbbing. As she sat there she felt a mix of emotions run through her but she mainly hung her head in shame for the way she had treated Pippin the night before. Even though she was only trying to get information about her city, Salandiel still felt terrible for shaking and scaring him the way she had.

Before she could wallow further in her feelings, Salandiel heard an urgent knock on her door. She quickly jumped out of her bed, still wearing her pants and tunic from the night before, and rushed to the door. She opened it to find a young messenger.

"Gandalf has called for a meeting at noon, he has asked that you be there, my lady," said the boy.

"Thank you," Salandiel replied kindly and closed the door as he walked away.

She turned her back to lean against the door and let out a sigh, wondering if her behaviour the previous night had ruined her reputation and, more importantly, her friendships that she had formed.

Another knock came from the other side. Salandiel groaned again as the pounding of the door worsened the pounding in her head. With a huff, Salandiel turned to open the door, ready to fight whoever had decided to disturb her in her self-pity but was surprised to see Eowyn standing there. She had a smile on her face but it soon dropped once she saw the state that Salandiel was in.

"You look terrible," exclaimed Eowyn.

Salandiel scoffed and replied sarcastically, "Why thank you."

Eowyn just laughed and let herself into the room.

"And to what do I owe the pleasure of being visited by the ever-lovely Lady Eowyn?" asked Salandiel, closing the door. The sound of the door closing sent another wave of pain through her head. Salandiel put her hand to her head.

Eowyn made herself comfortable on the bed and said, "I have come to make you look presentable."

Salandiel noticed the dresses that Eowyn had thrown onto the bed.

Salandiel raised an eyebrow.

"You do not mean to shove me into one of those, do you?" asked Salandiel, pointing towards the large pile of fabric.

"Just because you are a woman working amongst men does not mean that you cannot wear a dress," said Eowyn indignantly. She stood up and stepped forward to look closer at Salandiel and tug at her hair.

"You must be mad," scoffed Salandiel, removing Eowyn's hands, "I am perfectly alright wearing my normal clothes."

"Oh please, have you not wished to dress up once?" asked Eowyn.

"No I have not, and besides, a dress would only get in the way of fulfilling my duties," said Salandiel, walking to a window on the other side of the room to breathe in some fresh air. The cool breeze slightly eased the throbbing in her head, but only slightly.

Eowyn's face dropped and she went silent. Salandiel turned as she heard Eowyn sit down on the bed with a huff.

Salandiel noticed the change in her and knelt down in front of her. 

"What is the matter?" asked Salandiel, "I hope I have not offended you? If you want I really will wear a dr—"

"No, it isn't that," interrupted Eowyn.