Chapter 44: The Beginning of an End

I breathe in the fresh air. It smelled of smoke from small boats and ships, and the sea. We are at the city port where I stood in an elegant dress. Beside me is Exene in all his royal grace. Luca is beside Exene and Davis beside me, both clad in their own uniforms. Pierce and Ares on our left side. In front of us is the King, face to face with the High Lord of Sandovia. 

We watched as two royal guards held Emerich Sardon. Despite his arrogance, I could have sworn he cowered slightly when his father glanced at him. I swallowed hard when the High Lord's gaze went to my direction. I felt Exene's hand on mine, squeezing it. Telling me he is there ans that I have nothing to be scared of.

"I apologize for what my idiotic son has caused," the High lord said, his words stiff.

"The next time he steps into any parts of Oregon, he will not come out alive." There is enough bite on the King's words but the High Lord merely looked at Emerich as if thinking what punishment he should give him. Davis almost killed him, actually. But the fact that killing a High Lord's son would cause a war stopped him.

Two sentries came forward and took Emerich from the royal guards. The High Lord took one last glance at me before he bowed slightly to the King. I watched as they went to their ship.

I have never witnessed how cruel the High Lord is but I've heard stories. And I can already imagine what is waiting for Emerich Sardon inside the ship or in Sandovia. 

We stayed there until the ship was far enough. 

Apollo attempted to escape that day but Pierce's troops were on standby around the area that day and caught him. He is now being sent to Urathra's island where he will serve his sentence. Exene assured me that there are guards guarding there and that Apollo will never be successful should he try to escape.

And I breathed. Actually breathed that finally, everything is over. 

* * *

Two days have passed since the incident. The weather is gloomy today as if it knows what I feel--what I and Laurent feels. Davis is in a safe distance, watching carefully, as Laurent started to spread Maynard's ashes in the river. Among us, Laurent spent the most time with our father. As for me, I keep thinking what if Maynard--father did not become a pirate, what if he never left, what if he stayed. But all of it is in the past now and we can't take it back. What's more important is to put my attention on what's in front of me and what tomorrow will give. I smiled slightly as I remembered Exene's words. 

When Laurent was done spreading our father's ashes, we waited for several minutes before Davis handcuffed him. Despite him ending up not the enemy, he still had done crimes against Oregon and its people. Ares convinced the King to not send him to Urathras Island at least. Laurent was sentenced to four years in prison but Pierce wanted to give him a chance and wants to take him on a mission that would reduce his sentence to one year. That was enough. I remembered Laurent said with a smile on his face. 

Davis and Laurent are still not on speaking terms and I understand. Everything was new to me. And I know it was new for the two of them too. I grew up knowing I was an only child but turns out, I had three siblings. It's still a lot to process. 

"What are you doing out here?" I ask Davis as soon as I stepped into the rooftop. The wind is cold and I hugged my coat tighter. It's winter and it's snowing a little. 

Davis looked at me and threw his cigarette on the floor before he stepped on it. He opened his hip flask and drank alcohol. "I could ask the same question to you," 

There's a lot going on in my mind that I find it hard to cope up. One of them is what's the deal between me and Exene now. Are we going to tell the King our marriage was fake? He hasn't been in the manor since the incident. He has to take care of some matters in the Palace. And it's dreading me to keep on guessing what's going to happen to us next.