1: At the stroke of Bad Luck

Bella

"Bella hurry up." Elisa yells with a loud knock on my bedroom door.

I jolt up from my peaceful sleep and glance at my alarm clock on my bedside table.

"Oh....No No No..." I yell out loud as I roll out of my bed and rush to my adjoining bathroom. But only to end up tripping on my way there and falling flat on my face with a loud thud noise.

"....aah!!" I yelp out in pain as I turn on my back and rub my forehead. I knew I had no time to dwell on my misery, so I hurried to the bathroom to take care of my business.

Elisa and I have been roommates for almost two years now. We first meet during our job interview at 'SC General Hospital' - the place where we work right now as paramedics.

Later that week we both ran into each other when we were apartment hunting. As we both needed a place to stay and a roommate to share our rent with. We both agreed to move into this gorgeous apartment.

The apartment is moderate in size, consisting of 2 medium size bedroom with attached bathrooms and a small living area. It's not fancy but its super cozy and both of us like it that way. Plus It was close to our work. It was a win-win situation of us.

I rushed out of the bathroom once I was done using it. I changed into my paramedic uniform in record time and grabbed my night shift duffel bag before heading out of the room.

"Bella, we are going to be late!!" Elisa reminds me about the obvious fact once again but this time she is eagerly waiting for me at the entrances of our apartment door.

Elisa is a petite blond who loves to stay in shape and eat healthy food. A total opposite of me. I love to eat and also cook when I get time. But as accident prone I am need supervision most of the time.

"I am ready, I am ready... let's go, let's go..." I say in a rush as I slide on my work boots and hurrying out to the bus stop.

20 minutes later and out of breath we stand in front of our team captain for our routine shift handover. It is something we have to do every time we start out shift and end it. We basically tell the next team of paramedics what all cases we saw today and if we have important points to handover to them. The handover is usually 3 to 5 minutes and super quick. But it doesn't mean that we can skip them. Sometimes our seniors use this platform to announce any upcoming training programs or courses. Plus the meeting has attendances too. So we have to attend it under any circumstances, or we are counted as absent.

"Thank God we made it." Elisa sighs gratefully as she highs five with me.

"Yeah looks like that." I add and sigh with relief.

After a quick handover about the last shift and getting our attendances sorted out, Elisa looks at me and say "let's get moving, girl, we got a long night ahead of us."

"Oh yeah let's go before I run straight into trouble" And just like my words have spoken directly to the devil himself, I run straight into my team captain and spill her coffee all over my uniform with few splashes on her black boots.

"Oh my GOD, I am so sorry Captain," I frantically say as I start shaking the front of my uniform shirt. The coffee wasn't hot enough to burn my skin, but the cup was definitely full. I quickly glance at the captain and the surrounding, assessing in the damage.

The captain was fine, not a single hair out of place except a few splashes on her polished boots. But I on the other hand was drenched in lukewarm coffee.

I needed a uniform change and lucky for me I had two spare uniform in the locker - just for cases like this. But I needed to be quick cause we will be heading out soon. And I need to take care of this mess.

"Are you okay?" I ask apologetically.

"Yes dear I am fine but please for the safety of other workers and yours'Be Extra Careful.'" She suggested calmly as she sidestepped the spilled coffee on the floor before heading out.

"Bella, don't you have enough work-related injury reports to file??" The captain said over her shoulder.

Well she was right in that department. I have 26 work related injuries in the last six months. Even though majority of them were minor but we have do long paperwork and file in the report of how it happened and why it happened. In short I am pro at it - both the paperwork and incidents.

I nod politely "I will be extra careful captain. Can I get you new one?" I offer while heading towards the coffee machine at the corner of the meeting room.

"No Bella, it's okay. Just hurry up and change, you are getting late. And can you please call the cleaning staff to take care of this on your way out?" she says while dumping the now empty coffee cup in the near by trash can.

"Yes, Captain.On it."I say and instantly rush towards the phone on the desk to contact the cleaning staff.

"Joe it's me." I say as I recognize the Joe's voice. He is the cleaning staff member and most of the time he gets thrown under the bus whenever I make a mess. I feel bad for him but I can't help myself.

"Meeting room - coffee mishap." I rush to tell him the cliff points of the incident.

He huffs out a breath acting all annoyed but I know he was just waiting for my call. It is a ongoing thing between us, I spill something and he come and clean it. "Okay Bella I will take care of it."

"Thank, thank, thank you so much Joe. I owe you one." I add in an energetic voice and end the call and head to the locker room.