[37]

Escaping the dark abyss of his dreams, Donghyuck began opening his eyes once again

Escaping the dark abyss of his dreams, Donghyuck began opening his eyes once again. The room was now brightly lit up, the blinding rays making the boy's vision extremely blurry. His headache was for the most part gone, a small, stinging pain still lingering at his temple. And finally, his temperature had gone down since he didn't feel like he was soaking in an ice cold water bath.

Donghyuck squirmed his eyes, seeing the dark, skinny shadow hovering above his head, with a fair amount of distance between them. Since he was still completely empty in the head, he muttered the first word that came to mind.

"Soomin?" The boy asked in a slurred and raspy tone, very obviously still only half-conscious. 

"Damn, I know I'm pretty but I ain't no girl, loverboy." 

The annoying tone of the person immediately brought Donghyuck right back to reality, his senses immediately sharpening, letting him see Renjun's smirking face above his. He could hear a bunch of other guys laughing at him in the room, quickly recognizing them as his young friends. 

Now alerted, he shot up quickly, almost smashing his head into Renjun's at full force, then sat up straight.

"I knew it Renjun, your uglyass face can make anyone jolt awake." Chenle chuckled under his breath and the elder boy swung a playful fist at him.

"What time is it?" Donghyuck ruffled his extremely messy hair slightly, his instincts now dying down again as drowsiness took over him again. He then felt whatever was put on his cheek, a large bandage, that covered up the large slash he had gotten during the recent fight. 

"10am. When we woke up, Kun told us you're here. He literally scared the shit out of us, but when we came here, you were literally fine." Jaemin documented as he played around with some tools on a metal tray.

"Oh and your little girlfriend went to sleep since she stayed up all night looking after you." Jeno added with a suggestive look in his eyes.

"Oh, oka- wait what the fuck, she ain't my girlfriend." Donghyuck whipped his head to look at the other boy.

The room bursted out into childish chuckles again, seeing him get worked up over the simple word. They thought it was because of the sheer embarassment that Donghyuck felt as they all thought he had feelings for Soomin, but it wasn't that. No, not at all.

The mixed feelings of remembrance, guilt, angst, regret, fury all began escalating in him bit by bit, appearing from all the dark, hidden away corners of his mind. His fists clenched tightly, shaking in restraint and he bit his inner cheek, trying to stop himself from exploding. The various voices in the room seemed to be drowned out by the taunting melody of his most happy yet dreaded memories, that haunted him night and day. He was like a timed bomb, ticking away slowly until the day that he would release all of his bottled-up emotions and demolish absolutely everything in his sight.

But of course instead of facing it, he would run away like a coward.

That's why the noise in the room died down as Donghyuck threw away the white sheets and swiftly got to his feet. Despite them being bare, he hurriedly began making his way towards the door.

"Hey, Donghyuck, where are you- Hey, hey!" Jaemin called out after him, but was ignored and then cut out by the slamming of the infermery door.

"What's with him?" Renjun clicked his tongue, staring at the door confused.

"Oh no, do you think he got offended by the girlfriend joke Jeno made earlier?" Jisung asked, concern lacing his voice.

"We all know that Donghyuck isn't the type to do that." Chenle nudged him in the arm.

"Yeah, exactly." Jeno muttered then spun over in his chair to look towards the group. "Then what do you think is happening?" 

As they began debating, coming up with the most shocking and untrue scenarious, Mark stayed quiet and continued staring at the door that Donghyuck just left out of. His voice then suddenly interrupted the heated discussion as he spoke calmly, with the slightest bit of worry.

"I guess it's one of those days again." 

"What days?" Jisung asked confused.

Not that it was those days. No, 'those days' were every day for Donghyuck. Every. Single. Goddamn. Day. And he could do nothing of it, just drown it out with random tasks and responsibilities that he had to fullfill as a part of the gang. His troubled mind swarmed with the worst of thoughts and painful experiences, all the times that he just wanted to simply forget about his entire life. To have his happiness back in his life.

"You know, Fullsun, you're just so much different from everyone else." 

He took a sharp, irregular breath as he felt her sweet-as-honey voice infiltrate his mind, fill up his everything and at the same time leave him with nothing.

"Really? How so?"

"I don't even know honestly. You just bring out the best in me. I wouldn't be me without you." 

He was already by the front door.

"Awe, you love me that much?"
"Hey, don't make fun of me, I'm being serious!"

He slid his bare feet inside of his worn-out, white adidas sneakers.

"Don't worry baby, I love you just as much." 

He grabbed onto the door handle with a shaky hand, pushing it down with unusual desperation.

"You're my happiness, I wouldn't be able to live without you." Donghyuck muttered into her soft, delicate hair as he inhaled the sweet scent of her shampoo.

And by now, he was already out the door and wandering into the mystical forest.

Which Hyuck book do y'all like more, Lullaby or Unusual (if you've read it) ?