Chapter Fifty Four

"Uh - Fred can I talk to you for a moment?"
Sensing my skittishness, George immediately walked over to Lee, concern clear in his features.
"Yeah, are you ok?"
I nodded noncommittally, eyes searching for a quiet spot. Finding none, I dragged Fred to the slightly cramped space behind the stairs.
"What's going on?" Fred asked again, hand reaching out to touch my shoulder, "has something happened?"
"No - well - I don't know" I struggled, taking a deep breath before starting again, "What are we, Fred?"
"What?"
"Okay, bad phrasing... here's a question. How would you feel if I started seeing another person?"
Fred instantly rose from his seat on the box, anger flushing his face as his fists clenched uneasily, "Who-"
"I'm not. Talking to anyone, that is" I said, raising my hands to try and calm him, berating myself for finding his angry expression attractive, "but that answers my question, thank you"
Initial anger diminishing, Fred seemed to deflate slightly, sitting back down, "I don't understand"
"I guess what I'm trying, and failing, to say is that I don't want you to talk to anyone else either"
Frown returning, Fred looked me earnestly, "I wouldn't"
I huffed a laugh, smiling at his innocent confusion, placing my hands over his still-curled fists.
"What I mean is that I want you to be my boyfriend... officially"
"Oh. Oh. Oh!"
Breaking out into a large grin, Fred sweeped me up into a tight hug, smacking an enthusiastic kiss on to my cheek.
"I thought you were trying to leave me for some Durmstrang student!" he exclaimed, "This is so much better, thank Merlin"
"So that's a yes?" I asked through laughter, blushing at the pure happiness Fred seemed to be radiating.
"I was going to ask at the Yule Ball, so of course" Fred grinned, pressing me against the wall and connecting our lips in a feverish kiss, all of our unspoken emotions being pourn in, only strengthening the agreement.
As we parted for air, I giggled almost hysterically, hand cupping his face gently.
"You're mine now" I sang, placid a light kiss on the tip of his nose.
"You've always been mine" Fred replied, kissing me yet again, "though now I can tell other people to piss off"
Giggling, I buried my face in the crook of his neck, playing with the tips of his hair.
"I lo- we should get back to George, he looked really concerned"
I hummed in agreement, mind brushing over the abandoned sentence, too happy with the new development.
Stepping back from Fred, I grabbed him by the hand and pulled him over to the boys, falling on to the seat opposite Lee.
"So?" He asked, looking hopefully between the two of us.
"So what? What's happening!?" George whined impatiently.
"Don't whine to my girlfriend, Georgina" Fred huffed, pulling me back into his arms.
I began to laugh as I watched the realisation dawn on Lee's face, George still looking around confused.
"Oh my god! Finally!" Lee shouted, jumping out of his seat and launching himself at the two of us, "Idiots"
"Wha- ohhhh! Go Freddie!" George cheered, jumping on to Lee's back with a feral grin, "You finally asked her?"
I scoffed at that, smile still in place as I shook my head, trying to find some wiggle room, "I asked him"
"Figures"

"Pssst! Mrs Weasley!"
"You're not calling me that Beth" I sighed, letting myself be tugged in to the alcove.
Beth was sat cross-legged, fidgeting with her barely restrained energy, eyes wild, "You'll never believe what just happened"
"What?"
"She apologised to me. Fully. Heartfelt with tears and everything!"
"Wha- Ebony?"
"Yes! She - she apologised and I said I forgave her and then out of nowhere she asked me to the Yule Ball"
"Excuse me? She did what?"
"I know!"
"Well what did you say?"
"Say? I - shit" her face paled as she looked back at the corridor, "I kinda ran without ... saying anything?"
I dropped my head into my hands, shaking my head at her idiocy, "Bethany, Bethany. Why?"
Not getting a reply, I looked back up to see her, face utterly defeated. Sighing, I shuffled closer, laying my hand over hers.
"Do you still like her?"

A small smile grew on her face, nodding slightly, "Yeah""Then you've got your answer, I'll stand by you no matter what"Beth let out a puff of breath, nodding decisively before standing back up, lifting her head up high

"Then you've got your answer, I'll stand by you no matter what"
Beth let out a puff of breath, nodding decisively before standing back up, lifting her head up high.
"I can do this" she said, voice slightly hysterical, "it's just asking a girl to the dance after accidentally rejecting her - can't be that hard, right?"
I chuckled at her scared expression, lightly shoving her down the hall, "You'll be fine. Go get her"