chapter eighteen

Calming Draught

Calming Draught

'When you're drowning you don't inhale until right before you blackout.'
-Stiles Stilinski

⚯͛

24th February 1995

The day of the task came far quicker than Raven had anticipated, and after finding herself awake all night - glaring at the rocking ceiling of the boat above her - she found herself tired the next day, "You'll be fine." Malia encouraged, patting the girls back.

"I can't do this, I think I'm going to be sick." Raven mumbled, looking down at the table, with her fists concealed by the thick material of her cloak, "Wheres Neveah, anyway?"

"I was wondering the same thing," Nathan said, joining the two girls, "Have you got the pendant."

Raven nodded, holding it up as Malia continued talking, "I thought you and Neveah had fallen out anyway - or are you both suddenly friends again?"

Shrugging, Nathan turned back to the black-haired girl, "Remember the incantation." he said, holding onto Raven's hands to stop them from shaking vigorously beneath her cloak.

"And what do I do if it doesn't work?" she asked nervously.

Nathan smirked, leaning back in his chair, "Then lets hope that it wasn't anything that you'll 'sorely miss.'" He joked, quoting the egg and causing both Malia and Raven to glare at him.

"You're a dick." they both said together.

Nathan rolled his eyes, "I was only joking," He muttered, "Besides, do you seriously think Dumbledore wouldn't bring it back up for you? - he's not just going to leave whatever it is down there."

Raven shrugged, "I wouldn't want to test it," She muttered, "I'm going to go for a walk - clear my head." Rapidly drinking the rest of her tea, she stood up from the bench and left the Great Hall.

Some people cheered her and patted her back, whilst others watched her with the most strong taste of dislike - Raven soon found herself walking down the quieter halls of the Hogwarts castle. However, as more thoughts about today's task passed through her head; more thoughts of everything that could go wrong flashing before her eyes, she found herself falling onto the floor, her back resting against the old stone wall, and resting her head in her shaking hands, "Raven?"

She looked up, her eyes red from a few fallen tears, "What are you doing here? The task starts in half an hour." Harry asked, sitting down beside her.