Chapter 9

Rowan doesn't let go of me while the doctor starts to ask me questions, knowing I'll probably freak out again. I sit in my newfound friend's lap, facing the doctor, nervously playing with my fingers.

The doctor, who I learned is named Maxine, asks softly, "Does anything hurt?"

I shrug nervously, not knowing the best way to communicate. It feels like it comes naturally with Rowan, but with strangers, I have no clue what to do.

Rowan whispers in my ear, her breath fanning my neck, "Can you point to where it hurts?"

Nodding, I point at my hands that I realize are already bandaged. I look at them quizzically, wondering who wrapped them.

As if she noticed my confused look, Rowan lets me know, "I bandaged your hands after the doctor removed the glass from them. I didn't want anyone else near you for longer than they had to be."

Not understanding why, I just nod, before pointing to my head.

"Your head hurts?" Doctor Maxine confirms.

"Feels... fuzzy." Smiling brightly, I'm proud of myself for talking to a stranger. I turn to Rowan who is also smiling. I whisper in her ear excitedly, "I did it!"

Rowan's smile grows even larger, her whispering back, "Yes, you did."

After sharing that moment, I turn back to the doctor, who is trying to hide her smile. You can tell she is happy for some reason because of the way her mouth twitches upwards slightly. Suddenly becoming professional once more, she informs, "Your hands were cut by glass from the broken windows and you have a minor concussion. I would restrain from doing any physical activities for at least two weeks. After that time frame, please come back for a check up to be cleared."

I feel Rowan nod behind me, as if the doctor is talking to her. I quickly forget about that when the doctor asks her next question. "What did you want to make stop when you were hitting yourself?"

Rowan growls behind me but I don't think much of it as I prepare myself for what I'm about to say. Taking a deep breath, I stare down at my hands. "I-I saw my parent's d-death's over and over again." Just saying those words reminds me of the accident, the red blood that lightly coats my hands reminding me of the horror of my parent's death.

I feel Rowan take my hands in hers, the sparks occurring where her fingers touch mine. Closing my eyes, I slump back against her chest, my head in the crook of her neck. I say in a soft voice, "I-It hurts. It hurts to see th-them like that. I now know w-why they never let me l-leave the house. They didn't want me to experience this p-pain. But n-now I have, and they aren't here. They aren't here." My voice breaks at the end but I don't have any tears left to cry. This pain will be here forever, and I can't cry every time I feel it or else I would always be crying.

Keeping my eyes closed, exhaustion overtakes my body as Rowan wraps her arms around me, holding me closer. "Sleep, love. You are not alone, I will always be here."

That is the last thing I hear before sleep pulls me into its tight embrace.