Chapter 10: The Beginning Of An Era

3rd Person POV

You had all been fighting for a while now. Tony taking down one more leviathan before you all started to get overrun. Clint running out of arrows, the rest of you starting to run out of energy.

You took deep breaths, standing on one knee on top of Stark Tower, watching as explosions went off throughout the city. So this is how it's gonna end. You thought, simply watching the devastation continue.

"Y/N." Natasha called out to you from a few yards away. The Tesseract was still active, Chitauri were still flooding into New York. You looked over to her, Selvig on the ground nearby. "The sceptre." She stated, looking down at the outside platform of the tower. You followed her gaze, seeing the sceptre laid on the stone, unattended.

A small exhale came from you, as you opened a portal underneath it, the exit just next to you. A small smile worked it's way onto your face. You were surprised you even had the energy left to do so, you'd spent most of it killing leviathans.

You picked up the sceptre, an odd feeling hitting you, almost as if the sceptre was like you, like a brother of some sort. You shook it off, assuming your mind was playing tricks on you. Handing the weapon over to Nat.

"That was a lot quicker than what I had in mind. Thank you." She said, turning around to face the Tesseract. She glanced at Selvig for a moment. "What do I do with this thing?"

Selvig stood up, walking to some sort of laptop next to the device. "The crown, hit the crown." Selvig said, pointing to a spot on the machine. You had no idea how the hell the thing worked, but if it would stop these things, you didn't care.

Natasha began pushing the sceptre through the energy barrier protecting the Tesseract. "I can close it. Does anybody copy?" She asked, strain in her voice as she pushed through the energy. "I can shut the portal down."

"Do it!" Cap shouted.

"No, stop." Tony intervened. It confused almost everyone on comms.

"Tony, these bastards are still coming through." You stated, looking up at the portal.

"I got a nuke coming in. Gonna detonate in under a minute." He replied. You had no clue where a nuke just came from, but one way or another that thing needed to be away from the city. "I know just where to put it."

You narrowed your eyes, thinking it was the stupidest plan ever. But it was the only plan. "Don't die, will ya?" You said, taking a breath of air.

"Don't worry, kid. I'm not dying today." Tony replied. It made you soften slightly, knowing he wasn't planning a kamikaze mission or something.

"Stark, that's a one way trip." Steve chimed in.

"Thanks for the pep talk, Capsicle." Tony replied in his usual comedic nature. "This ones for you, kid."

You looked down from the tower. If you squinted you could just barely see Tony as he began to lift a missile upwards. He's still insane. You silently thought.

Everyone stopped what they were doing, watching Stark as he just narrowly missed the tower, heading straight towards the portal. He got closer and closer to the rift. The sound of his thrusters blaring until suddenly coming to a stop.