Chapter 23

The next evening I woke up from my nap when my phone started going off. I reach over to see my brother's name on the screen. I turn my phone on vibrate, turning back against Rafe, cuddling into his side. He pulls me closer to him.

My phone rings again, vibrating the bed side table again. I climb out of the bed, grabbing my phone. I answer the call, walking over to the chair in Rafe's room. I curl up in the chair, pulling my knees to my chest.

"Hello?" My voice comes out hoarse.

"JJ took the blame."

"Wait," I say confused. "What do you mean?"

"The cops showed up at Heyward's this morning to arrest me for felony destruction of property. They had me in cuffs and everything and the JJ said he did it. I lied and said he did. They took JJ to jail and it's my fault."

"Pope, how you could you let him to that?" I ask sadly.

"He wanted me too. I can't lose my scholarship." Pope says desperately.

"Well what about JJ's future? He's a kid that lives with his abusive father. Do you know what Luke will do to him?"

"Mila, I know!"

"I can't do anything to help you, Pope. This is a problem I'm not getting involved in for you. I can't play favorites anymore. If there's anything I can do to help JJ, call me, but other than that please leave me out of it."

"Mila.."

"Pope, please understand. I've already gotten hurt and I've hurt other people, I can't keep doing that. It destroys me."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Thank you."

"I guess I'll go then."

"Okay."

"Bye, Mi."

"Bye."

I let out a sigh, hitting the end call button. I rub my hand across my forehead, rubbing g out the tension. Rafe props himself up on his forearms, looking over to me. A concerned look crosses his face, he draws his eyebrows together. I get up from the chair and walk back over to him. I lay back down next to him.

"Mi, what's going on?"

"I- I don't know if I should say. I don't wanna get you involved."

"We said no more secrets."

"JJ took the blame for Pope and now he's in jail."

"Oh, shit." Rafe says.

"I'm staying out of it. I can't get involved anymore."

"How can I help you?" He places a hand on my cheek, cupping it. He runs his thumb along my cheekbone.

"I just need a distraction. Something to get my mind off of it."

"Come to Midsummers with me." Rafe states.

My eyes grow wide in shock. That was not what I was expecting. "Really?" I ask unsure.

"Yeah, maybe it's time we really go public." A small smile creeps onto my face. He smiles back, a cheeky grin. "Yeah?"

I nod at him. "Let's do it.

Rafe leans up to press a soft kiss to my lips.

"I'll need a dress." I point out.

"I'll ask Sarah to take you in the morning."

"Okay."

The rest of the evening we had a very relaxed night. We went down and ate dinner with the rest of his family. After, we relaxed in his room, talking and watching movies. Rafe had gone to the store to bring lots of snacks and candy for our movie night.
Together we sat on his bed, eating the candy.

At one point we had gotten into a fight, throwing candy at each other was we ran around the room. It had started when I tossed a sour patch kid at Rafe's face when he had zoned out on the movie. He looked over to me, wide eyed. He threw one backs at me, hitting me in the center of my chest.

I let out a loud laugh, throwing another at him. Rafe moves to pin me to the bed, pouring the bag over my head. I push him off of me, he slides on the floor, landing with a thud.

I erupt into laughter, throwing myself backward. I fall off the bed, landing on my butt. I hear Rafe chuckle as I laugh at myself. He walks over to me, lifting me off the ground. He presses a kiss to my cheek, laying me down on the bed.