40| Little white lies

Chapter 40: Little white lies (Carter's POV)

I grabbed my phone the second I got home and dialed Zach's number. "Hello?" he asked. 

"Training today. Are you free?" I asked. 

"Yeah, I'm free. What time?" 

"Right now?" 

"Right now?" 

"I'll be there in fifteen." 

"Wait, wait, wait!" he exclaimed. "I'm around with Connor. We'll pick you up." 

My brows furrowed. "Why are you around?" I questioned. 

"We dropped Alex home," he answered while I heard Connor cursing at him in the background. 

"Why were you two dropping Alex home?" I questioned. 

"I had to pass on a message from Abby and Hudson was following her." 

"What?" 

"Zach, shut up," Connor hissed. 

"Why? He should know that," Zach replied. 

"What are you talking about?" I asked. 

"Hudson was following her, he was driving right behind her. We managed to get ahold of her first," he said. 

"Is she at home now? Is she fine? Did you check to see if he went there?" I asked while grabbing my keys and heading to the door. 

"She's fine," he said, "But you can go check since you're already heading out probably," he teased. 

"I wasn't heading out," I lied, sitting down. 

"Sure, we're outside so come out anyway," he said before hanging up. 

I grabbed my gym bag from under my bed and headed out. I walked out and opened the car door, sliding inside. They both were just staring at me. "Just drive," I sighed. 

"You know it's okay to act like this, right? You loved her, Carter. You can't turn it off." 

"Love," I corrected. 

"What?" 

"I still love her," I said, turning to him. 

"Then trust her," he sighed. 

"I can't. I'm terrified," I mumbled. 

"Of what?" he questioned. 

"Getting hurt, Zach," I huffed. 

"You think she would hurt you?" 

"No, I-" I resisted a groan, "I think I'll do that for myself and I'll hurt her in the process anyway," I huffed. 

"You already did," he laughed dryly, "That is exactly what you've done. Hurt yourself and hurt her too. Is it not?" he raised an eyebrow at me. 

I opened my mouth to argue but snapped it shut, realizing he was right. "She cheated," I said, staring out of the window. 

"You don't know that. She told you she didn't, you should trust her, especially because nothing else suggests otherwise," Connor said. 

"So, what? She just can't remember an entire half of the night?" I scoffed.

"Yes!" they exclaimed in sync. 

"Do you two know something I don't?" I narrowed my eyes at them. 

"No, we just think you should trust her. Right, Connor?" Zach asked. 

"Right," he nodded. He pulled into the gym minutes after that so Zach and I headed inside and Connor went home.