Chapter 1: The roommate

CHAPTER ONE

The roommate

Rara

"YOU'RE a freshman?" a girl with a short black hair asked in curiosity.

Tumango lang ako bilang sagot.

When I saw her occupying the bottom bunk, I immediately rolled my eyes. There's no way in hell I'll be using the top bunk!

"Trashy attitude for a newcomer. I like that." She snapped yet she was smiling slightly.

Hindi ba siya marunong makiramdam?

Inilapag ko ang mga bagahe ko sa sahig. "I'll use the bottom bunk," I demanded.

She chuckled slightly to herself. "Can't you see that it's already occupied?"

"Can't you see that I don't really care about that?" I countered.

"You better use the top bunk. I came here first." She squeaked, looking down at her nails.

She's really annoying!

Akala ko nakakairita na 'yong mga nakilala ko no'ng high school, may mas ilalala pa pala 'tong irita ko ngayong college.

"I can't use the top bunk, okay?" I said firmly.

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Why not?"

Rolling my eyes, I pointed my finger at the crutches that I'm currently using. "Are you blind or what?"

I was able to walk, thanks to the help of these crutches.

Her eyes widened, realizing how ignorant she was to not notice my crutches. "Oh. Sorry, I didn't notice. So how long have you been using that?" she asked curiously, before standing up to get some water.

"One month."

"What happened to you? I mean—"

"I ruptured my ACL during the try out. Nag-undergo ako ng surgery last month. So, I can't play volleyball anymore. Now shut up and let me use the bottom bunk."

She frowned slightly. "Who told you that you can't play volleyball anymore? With proper surgery and rehab, most athletes can return to their sport," she stated, shrugging nonchalantly as she fixed her things.

"Most athletes. Not all athletes. Not everyone."

"Why are you so pessimistic?" tanong niya at saka niya inilipat ang unan at mga gamit niya sa upper bunk ng double bunk bed. Finally.

Hindi ko na siya sinagot at sinimulan ko na lang ayusin ang mga gamit ko. Medyo hirap pa talaga akong gumalaw at maglakad-lakad dahil sa injury ko.

My phone buzzed with a text, making me smile when Gonz's name flashed on the screen.

San ka?

I rolled my eyes in sudden annoyance.

Really? Ang ikli talaga mag-text nito sa 'kin lagi!

"Boyfriend mo?" my roommate asked, leaning closely to me.

I took a step back. "Hindi."

"Ah. Fling?" Her brow raised.

"What? No! He's my best friend!" I retorted, glaring at her with all the resentment I could muster.

Rather than faltering at my gaze, however, she simply laughed at this. My frustration grew even more with what she did.

"Ah . . ."

"Can you please stop being nosy?"

"I think I can't do that. You'll be my roommate for the whole semester. If we don't get along, you'll probably shift to another room next sem."

I rolled my eyes. "Baka mapaaga 'yong paglipat ko ng kuwarto kung gan'yan ka."

She scoffed in disbelief. "Wow. Aren't you being too rude? I'm two years older than you."

Natahimik ako sa sinabi niya. Sa bagay.

Iginala ko ang paningin ko sa buong kuwarto at napansin ko lahat ng libro sa study table niya. "Nursing student ka?" tanong ko.

"Yes. And I'm Dithri by the way."

"Dithri? Ang funny naman ng name mo."

"Grabe," reklamo niya.

Mahina akong tumawa at saka ko siya nginitian. "I'm Rara."

My phone buzzed with another text from Gonz. Oh my God, I forgot to reply!

May boyfriend ka na naman 'no? Kaya 'di mo pinapansin mga text ko? Friendship over, Ra.

What the hell? Judgmental talaga 'tong isang 'to.

Kung meron man, ikaw unang makakaalam. Duh.

Talaga lang ha.

Para kang ewan.

Nasa'n ka nga?

Dorm. Why?

Kakatapos lang ng training namin. Sunduin kita?

Napangiti ako.

Sige.

"Looks like you have a date," biglang sabi ni Dithri.

Umiling ako. "It's not a date, Dith."

"Whatever," she said, grabbing her jacket from the chair.

"May party mamaya sa boys dormitory. Invited lahat ng students, including freshmen. Your friend can tag along."

Napatitig ako sa kanya. "Pinapayagan kayong pumunta sa boys dormitory?"

"Of course not."

"Eh paano kayo pupunta sa party do'n?" nagtataka kong tanong.

"Come with me if you want to find out." She shrugged nonchalantly.

I heaved a deep sigh when I realized that I am using crutches. Hindi ako makaka-attend ng party sa ganitong sitwasyon.

Nagdalawang isip tuloy ako kung sasama ba ko kay Dithri o hindi, pero agad rin akong nagkaroon ng ideya para solusyonan 'tong problema ko.

Can you come with me to a party?

I sent it to Gonz.

Akala ko matagal siyang mag-re-reply kaya bibitawan ko sana muna ang phone ko. Pero wala pang ilang segundo ay nag-reply rin agad siya.

Haha! Wow. First day mo sa dorm, party na agad? Iba ka talaga, Ra.

Napakunot ang noo ko.

Yes or no lang! Dami pang sinasabi!

You don't have to ask, Ra. Of course, I'll come with you.