25. Little Joys

AN: The next chapter is the last of X775, and then we'll be moving on to another arc!

-

They made it to Hosenka in about a ten minute full sprint for freedom.

It was running into the evening, so Eir got them a room at the inn and ushered the children to the bathhouse.

"C'mon Bickslow, stop crying," Laxus tugged the teenager away with him. "Gray hurry up alr-- don't strip here!"

"My babies..."

"Yeah, yeah!" Gray scampered after him, carrying a stack of the provided kimono in his arms, kicking off his jeans and shrugging off his jacket, leaving his boxers on, why are you stripping, "Eir, you coming?"

"In a second," Eir gestured for them to go on ahead of him. He turned to the two girls, "Cana, be the big sister and take care of Levy, okay?"

"I will!" And Cana beams up at him, her hand still in Levy's.

Levy nodded shyly, setting her book down carefully at the side and out of the way. She gave a hasty bow of thanks before Cana dragged her off.

And now, all that was left in the room was Eir and their little thieving orphan boy.

"I already apologized!" the little angry dark-haired child snapped for about the hundredth time, "enough of this nonsense and let me go!"

"Stop whining already," Eir jabbed the boy in the head. "It's a free bath and place to sleep for the night. Just enjoy it."

Eir didn't want to put him down. He might just run off and they'll have to chase him again.

"You from the local orphanage?" he prompted instead.

And the boy stiffened. He turned away with a huff, "no."

Well, that's obviously a lie. Eir set down the pouch of cookies to the side, somewhere high. He unclasped his sword from his belt and set it by the door.

"Well, me too," Eir offered obscurely. "My name's Eir. You?"

"None of your business."

"Alright," he hummed. "You use air magic? I do too."

"Shut up."

Eir found this rather nostalgic. Children were always little shits-- it's surprising how little trouble he's had with the others. So this kid is a nice breath of fresh air, no pun intended.

"Well, you're pretty strong. Have you been scouted for a guild yet?"

And this made the kid do a double take. "What?"

"Like the other kids you saw," Eir smiled at him. "They're all part of my guild. We're learning magic, earning our own money, and doing honest work now."

He tutted. "Honest work my ass--"

Eir let him escape, landing with a crouch on the ground. He stood up confrontationally, glare set on his features.

"Enough of this dumb family game!" he snapped. "I gave your things back! That's enough, right? I'm gonna go."

And he marched away with a huff.

"No." Eir snagged him by the scruff, and the boy tripped over his own feet. He got paid to get this kid off the streets. He ain't letting the kid go back, that's bad work culture.