22 |

Her words hit me so hard, she could have slapped me. I know the feeling. I had experienced it for decades when I was dead.

The loneliness. The emptiness. The isolation.

Death was not fun for anyone, especially those who are supposed to be immortal. We had to exist on both realms. It was one of the reason's why Destiny had been so desperate to bring me back; my physical presence was needed in this realm. The sun needed balance.

Plants were dying, ice glaciers were melting — balance needed to be restored. Soon enough, maybe in decades, the moon would be causing issues —if we hadn't brought back the Moon Goddess.

I now knew who I was speaking to.

"Yes, Adira, I can see you," I tell her softly, stretching out my hand to meet her own. "It's nice to finally meet you."

"Who are you?" She says tentatively, bringing her own hand forward. As our hands meet, she lightly gasps. Touch, I think to myself. We take it for granted.

"I'm Theia," I tell her with a soft smile. Her narrowed gaze softens with surprise. She must have heard of me.

"Your sister is kind of a raging bitch," she laughs as she shakes her head, a few tears falling from her face as she wipes them away. My grin widens as I laugh along with her, my own tears threatening to spill. This was a big moment.

"Which sister?" I wink and pull her in for a hug. This was a hug of compassion, of hurt, and of understanding.

I didn't let go, not until I could feel her hands slipping off my back.

"So are we both dead?" Her voice matched her downcast eyes, unsure, filled with longing.

I wasn't sure how to tell her, scared of her reaction. When Destiny first brought me back there wasn't enough time for me to process anything. We were on the run from the moment I emerged from the darkness. It wasn't until we staged that crash on the edge of Paxton's property that I realized that this was my new life now; that everything was going to change.

I didn't want that for her.

"Well, we were both dead, but we brought you back. I am here to bring you to Klayton."

My purpose hit me as the words flew out of my mouth.

There was a reason everyone else disappeared in the smoke, I was the one that was chosen to venture into the brink of death, to pull Adira back out with me. I was her lifeline to the world of the living.

The smoke had cleared and I got a better look at the new goddess of the moon. The one that had to die for me to come back to life.

I thought back to when everyone talked about Adira, and when I brought my eyes up to meet the unfamiliar girl in front of me, I could see her gentle soul shining through her eyes.

I stripped away the magic, using my power to pull back the layers of transformations. I could see past the white hair and startling violet eyes.

I looked back at her childhood.

The night that I tried to save her from Artemis, her learning how to ride a bike, the day she left for Myersdale University.

The day she met Klayton. Even just looking at the memories I could feel the power of the bond between them.

As I pulled back, and let her memories leave my mind, I grew sad. It took all those years before she realized the world around her was not as it appeared. The supernatural did not hide away in corners but hid in plain sight. Her world was forever changed when Klayton revealed the truth to her... and here she was, her life about to change again.