The heir

"Hermione!"

"Merlin, Draco!" She started, turning on her heel to see that the blonde had just apparated behind her, and was now standing in her kitchen, his eyes wild.

"He's alive, Hermione, HE'S ALIVE!"

She blinked for a second, her rationality kicking in, "calm down please. What makes you think that? Its been 3 months."

"Kreacher!" Draco could hardly get his words out, relief flushing out the grief in his body, and a smile plastered upon his gaunt, usually sombre face.

"Wha's all this shoutin'?" Ron grumbled, rubbing his hand on his head as if he'd just woken up as he trudged into the room.

"Draco's got it into his head that he's still alive again." Hermione whispered.

He nodded, "come on mate. It's time to sell that place and move on. I thought you went on that date with that auror last week?"

Draco glanced blankly between the two. He couldn't believe that they had given up hope that their best friend was alive. Yes it had been 3 months, but Draco was sure he'd never give up hope that Harry would come back to him, one day.

"Didn't you like him? What was his name? Theodore?" Ron continued.

"I'm not making this up! Kreacher said-"

"Kreacher works at Hogwarts now remember? Harry thought it better for him there since the reform on the use of house elves as slaves in a wizarding home." Hermione crossed her arms in a motherly way.

"But he said I wasn't the heir, I don't own Grimmauld Place!" Draco demanded.

"Someone else is the heir then?" Ron asked.

Draco nodded, "Harry. Which means he isn't gone!"

Hermione stepped forward, her arms snaking around his shoulders,  "Draco, he's not coming back, and you know that. You were doing so well. Once you get settled in your new flat, with your job and social life, you won't look back."

"You don't believe me do you?" Draco spoke quietly. Even he was doubting himself now. But he just couldn't explain the feeling, the need and the desire to spend his life with Harry. Surely it wasn't just a coincidence that they had found each other, been with each other and found happiness. If that wasn't meant to be then the world was just harsh and cruel, though he supposed he probably deserved it due to his past. 

But something just screamed to him that he was meant to be with Harry. If anyone believed in destiny or fate at this point then Draco was sure that was it. Maybe love was blind, but he knew that he would've gone to the ends of the earth for him. 

"Have you ever felt so pulled towards someone or some place, that you literally cannot rest till you are there? Somewhere that feels like home, a certain person or place. Someone or somewhere that grounds you, makes you feel safe, not so alone anymore, not so dirty and evil, like you're a normal person for once, not good or bad, just normal."

Hermione bit her lip hard and Ron furrowed his eyebrows in a puzzled way, both watching the watery eyed man in front of them.

"I once thought Malfoy Manor was my home. Then I thought maybe Hogwarts was my home. But though they were places I called home, the only place I ever felt truly at home was with Harry." Draco swallowed the lump in his throat that was daring him to start crying.

"Harry was, and still is my home."

"Draco..." Hermione spoke softly.

"No, Granger. Don't say it. I know he's buried. He's not coming back. Blah Blah. I've told myself that so many times, more than you or Ron have. But something in my brain won't let me believe it so there has to be a reason why. And if I'm wrong and he is gone forever, then forgive me for just wanting to hope that I could see him just one more time. I'd give anything for one more second beside him."

It was silent for a moment before Ron spoke up, his voice breaking slightly, "One more adventure then?"

Hermione sniffed and smirked up at him, then turned back to Draco, "Even if we don't find him, at least it'll be an adventure."

Though they were enthusiastic at the beginning, after a few hours trying to pick out clues from what Kreacher had said, hopes were dwindling. 

"So, is that all he said?" Ron sighed in frustration.

Draco nodded silently, his lips pursed. Even he was doubting himself now. Had he really jumped to the farfetched conclusion that Harry was somehow mysteriously alive and hiding from all his friends, adopted family, and Draco. It seemed very stupid now.

"Is it possible there is another heir?" Hermione questioned, her brown eyes staring straight through him. 

"Even if there was, Harry told me he wanted me to be the heir in case anything happened to him." 

The statement was ironic, because weeks later, something had happened to him. 

Almost like it was planned. But it couldn't be, the thought alone was absurd.

Hermione glanced at Ron sideways and softened her voice, "Kreacher might not have seen it that way. You know what he's like. He's not even supposed to still be there."

Ron scoffed, "Like he'd leave his precious 'Noble House of Black' anytime soon."

The windows had steamed up from the cold air outside as the sun set outside the Burrow. Draco had forgotten he was inside the Weasley's house. It was unbelievably quiet, which seemed alien to him. But then with Fred gone, George had moved out with Angelina, Charlie was in Bulgaria, Bill was with Fleur at Shell cottage, Ginny was always at Quidditch trials, and he was sure Percy had completely moved into the Ministry as he spent the majority of his time there. Molly and Arthur probably enjoyed the silence sometimes, but then again, Molly never seemed happy until a holiday came where she could cook for the whole family again. 

And Harry's death had taken its toll on everyone in the Burrow the same. He was their brother, their son, their friend. As if losing Fred wasn't enough to destroy a family. Harry really had the most wonderful effect on people. And the most negative effect when he wasn't around anymore.

"I can't just let this go Hermione. We could just try. And then, if he does turn out to really be dead and gone," Draco swallowed, "I promise I will move on with my life and live properly."

A/N

I'm so so sorry for the gaps in updating!! I just moved to uni and everything is crazy right now. I will still be updating just slow. Thank you to everyone who is reading, much love :)