Mother Always Knows Best

It was late that night, nearing eleven. Bruce was sat in an armchair by the fireplace in his bedroom, smiling softly to himself as he looked through Damian's sketch pad, holding his gaze over the most recent drawing.

'Thomas and Martha Wayne' was written in neat, cursive writing underneath the gravestones. Bruce gently ran his fingertips over his parent's names, feeling his eyes well up slightly; He missed his parents just like anybody would, and sometimes he would wonder what they would think of him— If they were alive to see what he had become in the name of Justice, would they be proud?

A knock on the door drew him from his thoughts, "enter," he said as he closed the leather-bound sketchbook. He quickly checked his watch, the glow of the roaring fire illuminating the black and gold metal. It was almost time.

Alfred entered the room, closing the door behind him and coming to a stop next to the chair his master sat in. Bruce looked up at the older man as he approached, a knowing expression on his face.

"Did he sleep at all?"

"Not at all, I'm afraid, Sir," Alfred replied nonchalantly, Bruce just smiled. "Master Damian is eager to find out when you will be donning the uniforms, Sir."

Bruce chuckled as he rose from the chair, "soon, tell him soon." Bruce placed the book on the small, mahogany table beside him, making a mental note to return it to where Damian had originally left it after they returned from patrol.

"I take it you asked him then, Sir?" Alfred questioned as he made his way back towards the door.

Bruce nodded gently, a faint smile at his lips, "I told him he didn't need to answer just yet— that he could think about it. But I saw his face when I told him. I saw how it lit up the second I mentioned it to him."

Alfred listened intently as Bruce spoke, his eyes wrinkling as his smile grew wider.

"Oh- I forgot to mention," Alfred began, suddenly remembering why he made the journey upstairs in the first place. "Master's Dick, Jason, and Timothy are waiting in the conservatory."

"What for?"

"It seems as though Master Damian invited them to go along with you, tonight."

***

The wind whipped through his hair, his heart raced in his chest, and adrenaline coursed through his veins as he ran faster, leaping through the gaps of the rooftops every few seconds.

He loved this feeling, he decided; running through Gotham City until he felt that familiar burning in his muscles, swinging from one towering city building to the other as though he was flying. The feeling was indescribable to him, but he knew what he felt was a sure thing, and whatever it was, he loved it.

Damian landed smoothly on a flat rooftop overlooking the city, trying to let his breath catch up with him. The air was chilly around him, and the wind was harsh but Damian couldn't find it in him to care much about it; Today-- he decided-- was one of the best days of his life. One of them, and they were bound to only get better-- of that he was certain.

"Don't fall behind, kiddo." Dick landed by his side in a blur of black and blue and flashed him a quick grin.

"Just taking a minute, don't worry I won't fall behind," Damian replied quickly, itching to take off running again, "besides, we both know I'm faster than you."

Dick burst out laughing as though Damian's comment was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. "We'll see," he said as he sprinted towards the edge of the rooftop and jumped, letting himself fall for a few seconds before pulling out his old tricks from the circus and landing cleanly on the ground beneath him.